IGBO GIRLS ARE MAD

I dressed up to go to school early the next morning. Chinelo and I had to hurry so we wouldn't miss the bus. I have only a little fight left in me. Only a little time before I give up. I avoided Mandy's calls and texts yesterday. I even saw some missed calls from her this morning. I'm not ready to speak to her now. I need some alone time.
    People stared when we entered the bus. I don't care. Let them look. Maybe they will see what they are looking for.
"Hey!" I heard. I turned to see Mizpah heading towards us and waving at Nelo. I sighed and looked away.
"IJ!" It's only one person that calls me IJ. Mandy? I whipped my head so fast that I'm surprised it's still connected to my neck. I was about to smile, but when I saw the person who called me, my smile faltered. It was just Maureen. It wasn't Mandy. I forgot that there are two people calling me IJ now. What was I thinking? Mandy is in Nigeria...
"Hi." I said when Maureen dropped into the seat beside me.
"Hey, what's wrong? You were totally about to grin but when you saw me, you stopped. Did I do anything to you?" She asked concerned.
    "Oh no! It's not like that. It's just that I miss Amanda. I miss home. So when you called me IJ I thought it was Mandy... I'm sorry."
   "Awwwww I'm sorry. From now on, I'll call you Tina. Okay?" She leaned in and hugged me. I hugged her back. I needed this comfort. We talked the entire ride to school.
   The first person I saw when I entered the the school building was Lee. He rushed towards us and stood in front of me, with his hand on his hip and a nasty glare.
   "Where did you go yesterday? You ditched me. I was waiting for you after school so I could tell you about my crush of the week." Lee is mad, playfully mad. I heard Maureen giggle from behind me, and I turn to see Nelo and Miz with stupid smiles on their faces. I looked at Maureen for help and she just shrugged.
   "I'm sorry Lee. I—I—I—"
   "I—I—I... you sound like a broken record for crying out loud! I hate you right now." He whined. I had to laugh. I'm sorry but I had to. He looked too cute.
   "And she laughs. Cause I'm funny huh!"
   "Let it go Lee. We'll be late for class." Maureen grabbed Lee by the ear and drags him away.
      "Owwww! owww! owww!" He yelps, but she doesn't release him.
The thing about Maureen is that she doesn't care what people say and think. She has lived here for five years now so she can handle them. I on the hand, pretend to not care when I actually do care very much. It's not easy being disliked when back in your country, you were known and loved by almost everyone in your school.
   "We are going to class now. Take care." Nelo said after giving me a hug and walked away. I made my way to my locker and grabbed my books.
      "Missed me?" I heard from behind me. Colum is the last person I want to talk to now. Not now, not ever.
   "Leave me alone Colum."
   "So you didn't miss me a lil bit?"
   "No. I'm not in the mood for your childish games." I moved away from him and walked to my class. Thankfully, he didn't follow me.
    I tried my best to pay attention in all my classes, but I kept zoning out. The only class I look forward to is English class. Mrs. Schmuck is now our new teacher. I don't know what happened to the other teacher, but I'm very happy that Mrs. Schmuck is my teacher. I think she is the only anti racist white person in this school. Oh, and Lee as well.
     It's lunchtime. Finally, a break from studying. I make my way to the cafeteria like a zombie. I'm not taking note of anything, just moving. I heard some commotion in the cafeteria. I rushed there to see Lee being attacked by Colum and some of his friends.
"Stop it!" I heard from Maureen, try to get him away from Lee.
"You hitting on me gay boy? Huh?! I've told you to stay the hell away from me? You pathetic creature." Colum raised his hand and punched Lee. Lee is an average guy, but compared to Colum and his friends, he is a bit tinier. I stomped my way over to them and tapped Colum.
"Huh?!" He said and turned but that was the only thing he was able to say because I slapped him. Yes, I slapped him. I did something I vowed never to do... I slapped a guy.
"Tina!" I heard Maureen and Lee call. I heard everyone in the cafeteria gasp. All I saw was red.
My hand was stinging from the slap, but I just didn't care at that moment.
"What the hell is wrong with you?! Lee has been saying that he is not gay! Just because he is different doesn't make him gay. He is fun to be around and he is very gay... gay as in happy and energetic! Just back off from him! Everyday you make fun of me. You all make fun of me! Just because I keep quiet does not mean it doesn't hurt. I have endured this nonsense for almost three weeks now. No more! You can mess with me, but don't even try to mess with my friends."
"Don't you have a conscience? Are you all heartless? Let me say this once and for all. You have all been fed lies. Africa is not how the movies and cartoons make it. We don't ride animals to school, we don't live in huts, we don't hunt for food, and most importantly, we aren't dumb or stupid. If I hear this from anyone again, I won't hesitate to live up to my name and go all jungle girl on y'all's ass." I walked over to Lee and helped Maureen in picking him up. Before we walked away, Tiffany stood in my way.
"Move!" I commanded.
"Who do you think you are, slapping my boyfriend?" Boyyyyy she is mad! Guess what? I don't care anymore.
"Birds of a feather flock together. I'm not surprised to know that this spineless fish is your boyfriend."
"You!!" She raised her hand to slap me but someone caught it. I saw a smirking Chinelo holding her hand.
"Tsk tsk tsk! You white kids never learn. Go and rest! You don't wanna mess with us." Chinelo said. I'm times like these, I'm very happy that I have a sister like Chinelo. I can always count on her and she on me. I love my annoying little sister.
"You little—" She spat but was interrupted by a booming voice.
"WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?! DETENTION! ALL OF YOU!!!"
Shit!!!!!!!!!!!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I really enjoyed writing this chapter! I can imagine myself doing all this🙃 How was this chapter for you? Your fav so far??
Vote, comment, share...
Glossary:
Go and rest: It's what some Nigerians say they want you to stop disturbing them... basically like leave me alone.
Peace✌🏽 flowersandbooks16