𝘅𝘅𝗶. chapter twenty one.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xxi. CHAPTER TWENTY ONE.

 CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

AWKWARD ENCOUNTERS.
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

          WHEN BRIAR FINALLY made her way downstairs, she saw that her father, mother and brother were already seated at the dining table, ready to eat. Christian D'Alessio was at the head of the table, a sheet of paper in his hand. He looked up when Briar entered and smiled.

         "There you are, what took you so long?" He asked, not unkindly. He gestured for Briar to sit beside him. "Your mother was just showing me your examination results for this year. Only an E in Charms?"

       Briar bristled slightly, until she realized that the corners of his mouth were turned up. He was joking with her. Relieved, she smiled back. "It's better than anything Lorcan has ever gotten in the subject. If I'm not wrong, he got failed Charms in his sixth year."

       Christian let out a hearty laugh. "I do think he did. Well, Lorcan? What have you to say for yourself? Your sister makes a very valid point."

       Lorcan rolled his eyes playfully. "My sister should perhaps stop remembering all my marks and using them against me. I had other distractions in my sixth year; I was captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team. Briar can't even ride a broom."

          "You were captain because your only competition was Darrel Hopkins. That boy was so fat that his father had to get him a special broom because the regular one wouldn't take his weight."

         "She's right again," Christian put in, but Briar's mother interrupted him with a smile.

          "Don't encourage them, Christian. You certainly never got grades like Briar's when we were in school. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for me, you would have failed Transfiguration," Amelia teased.

           Christian smiled lovingly at his wife. "Yes, I would have. I'm afraid that your brains are entirely from your mother's side of the family, Briar."

          Briar couldn't resist a laugh. "Well then, I suppose I'd better leave Lorcan alone. It's not his fault he inherited all the wrong genes, is it?"

        Lorcan scoffed and reached to throw his napkin at Briar.

          Dinner was a rather pleasant affair. Christian talked about his day in Greece negotiating with their Minister for Magic. Lorcan managed to make them all laugh by retelling the various situations he'd gotten into with his bride's family, because he couldn't understand Portuguese. His future mother-in-law was the worst. Her English was atrocious, and she often ended up saying something very contrary to what she meant. By the time dessert was cleared away, Briar's side hurt from laughing so much.