𝘅𝘅𝘅𝗶. chapter thirty one

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xxxi. CHAPTER THIRTY ONE.

 CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

A CONFESSION.
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

BRIAR STOOD OUTSIDE what she assumed to be the Potter house, and took a deep breath. It was a nice place, and the Potters were clearly well-off. Biting her lip, she reached up and knocked on the door.

A few moments later, a tall middle-aged woman opened the door. Her resemblance to James Potter was striking, and Briar had no doubt that this was his mother. The woman looked confused, but forced a smile. It was quite late for strangers to be knocking at the door. "May I help you, dear?"

Briar smiled, trying to be polite. She wanted to see Sirius desperately, but she forced herself to calm down. "Mrs. Potter? I'm so sorry to disturb you at this time, I was just hoping to talk to Sirius, if he's here."

Mrs. Potter looked even more surprised. "Sirius? Well, whatever could- but oh! Of course, are you Briar?"

Briar nodded, doubtfully. "Erm, yes."

Mrs. Potter smiled. "Oh, Sirius talks about you all the time! Come in, dear, it's freezing outside and you look quite pale. Is everything all right? Did you come all the way here alone? I remember seeing those boys in the living room just a few moments ago... Sirius! Come here, will you?"

Mrs. Potter had a loud voice, and Briar had to refrain from flinching as the woman yelled into the next room. She stepped into the warm house, however, and rubbed her hands together. Mrs. Potter led her into the next room, where James Potter and Sirius Black were sitting on the couch, watching something on a Muggle television.

"Yes, Mrs. Potter?" Sirius asked, glancing away from the television. His eyes widened when he saw a slightly shivering, Briar behind her. He stood up, looking worried. "Rosi- Briar? What are you doing here?"

"Well, is that any way to greet the poor girl? She's been out in that chill for goodness knows how long," Mrs. Potter scolded Sirius. She turned to smile at Briar, kindly. "Why don't you sit down by the fire, dear?"

Briar shook her head. "That's very kind of you, Mrs. Potter, but I can't stay long. I really just needed to talk to Sirius about something," she replied. She turned and shot Sirius a meaningful look. He nodded quickly.

"Could we go upstairs to my room, Mrs. Potter?" he asked quickly, stepping closer to Briar. He smiled at the older woman. "No funny business, you can trust me."

Mrs. Potter raised an eyebrow. "I've learned quite well not to trust you, Sirius. But since Briar seems like a very responsible girl, I suppose you may. Really dear, I don't know what such sweet girls as you and Lily are doing with my boys."