Chapter 1 - Trust

Start from the beginning

Glancing up, she looked out the giant glass window that overlooked part of the city. She watched as busy traffic corralled the lanes, the vehicles flying fast as a blur. Glancing over at her reflection, she took note of the tired look in her eyes. She hadn't been able to get a lot of sleep recently, not since Obi-Wan informed her of his proposition.

Now she awaited his return outside the Jedi Council room. Her tired expression she may not be able to fix, her clothes and hair however was another story. Her padawan braid dangled on the right side of her face, part of her long brown hair tied back in a ponytail with the rest hanging out below her shoulders. A black choker covered nearly the entirety of her neck, embedded with the Republic insignia. A black strapless tank top covered her torso with a beige crop top vest overtop that opened up partially at the front. Black sleeves covered her arms along with red forearm bracers. A utility belt wrapped around her waist secured her black leggings and matching beige caped skirt nearly covering her black knee high boots. All the whilst a dark cloak covered her form, the hood hanging over her head.

She bit her bottom lip in anticipation just as the doors to the Council Room opened. Her body reacted instantly as she turned almost violently, seeing her Master proceed through the doorway. As Linora drew closer to him, she watched as one by one, the council members left the room and proceeded down another hallway. Shaak Ti offered her a reassuring smile while Ki-Adi-Mundi gave her a strange yet intimated stare, as if she was starting to regret coming here.

"What did they say?" She asked as she removed the hood of her cloak from her hair.

". . . There were mixed reactions," Obi-Wan answered honestly after a slight hesitation.

"I'm not surprised," Linora sighed whilst crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm assuming Master Mundi still has it out for me?"

"Mundi doesn't have it out for you, Linora," Master Kenobi assured, "He was just concerned is all,"

"All do respect, Master, I don't exactly blame him," Linora shook her head in disarray. "Among those who were killed were some of his Troopers, not to mention his Padawan almost died because of my actions,"

"It wasn't your fault," The Jedi Master insisted as he reached out and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You were following orders, as we all were. It's in the past now, you have grown much from then on,"

"I just. . . "Her head hung low, parts of her hair falling from her shoulders and dangled near her face. She sucked in a breath before looking up at the man. "I wished I could have handled it differently, you know? I could have tried to evacuate everyone first,"

"That's the reality of war, unfortunately," Obi-Wan grimaced as he brought her over to the window, the pair looking out into the city. "We try to save as many lives as we can, but we can't save everyone. What matters is we try,"

A stiff silence filled the room as she looked out at nothing in particular. Linora felt like a dark rain cloud was hovering over her and threatened to drench her at any moment. It's how she's always felt whenever she thought about the attack, or her.

"I miss her," Linora spoke softly. "A lot. . ."

"I miss Jena, as well, young one,"

Linora glanced at the Jedi Council doors once more, her gaze lingering at the giant circular doorway before returning her gaze at Obi-Wan. "What happens now?"

"Now, it's time," The Jedi Master stated.

Linora looked over to see the doors to the Jedi Council room open. The room inside was pitch black. The woman rose a brow, confused. I thought all the council members had left?

"You really think I'm ready for this?" She asked him, gripping the sides of her Jedi cloak.

"I believe in you, Linora, and not a day goes by where I don't look to her for guidance in raising you, or think that Master Thraezsh would be so proud of how far you've come, as am I," Obi-Wan offered a small smile as both hands now comforted her shoulders. "All I ask is that you believe in yourself,"

Linora let his hopeful gaze, surprised at the level of compassion he was showing. "I . . . appreciate that, truly, Master Kenobi,"

Pulling away, Linora stepped back from her Master as she turned her body completely to face the doorway. Staring into the dark emptiness made her stomach do summersaults. She felt as if she couldn't move, no-- shouldn't. Did she really deserve to do this after everything that happened?

"I've done all I can to pass the last of her teachings to you, and now it's time to put them to the ultimate test. Trust in the force,"

She thought back to her training, special moments with her old master, her smile. Growing up Jena had always told her she'd be there for her, that she knew exactly what to do to keep her and everyone she cared for safe. Linora could see it in her smile. I'll always be with you, trust in the force, she had once said.

"Trust in the force," Linora mumbled quietly.

She took a steady breath before taking a shaking step forward, and then another, followed by another as Linora slowly made her way down the hall and entered the Council Room. The shut itself behind her as darkness consumed the room in its entirety. She didn't dare speak, standing in silence until she saw light.

A green lightsaber ignited as Master Yoda stood in his chair. A second one was ignited behind her. Obi-Wan stood behind her, his hood and cloak masking his body, the light from his blue lightsaber shined on his face as he smiled proudly at the Padawan. The orange floral like pattern on the floor glowed with the light as she focused her attention fully on the Jedi Master before her.

"Step forward, Padawan," Yoda commanded.

Linora walked towards the small creature before dropping to one knee, bowing her head in respect whilst brushing her hair back. Yoda raised his lightsaber as Obi-Wan lowered his own, the light shifting in the room.

"Linora Kraken, by the right of the Council, by the Will of the Force," Yoda used his saber to hover-tap her shoulders, as if granting a knighthood. "I dub the, Jedi Knight of the Republic,"

With a flick of his wrist, he used his saber to swiftly cut off her Padawan braid. She watched as the piece of hair fluttered to the floor, the end burnt in black as a tiny trail of smoke. Linora glanced up at the Master as she slowly stood to her feet, smiling gratefully as she bowed her head once more.

"Thank you, Master Yoda,"

"One last thing," Yoda advised. He signaled Obi-Wan to come forward. Linora watched as her Mentor walked towards the pair, revealing something from his cloak as he handed the object over to Yoda who then extended it towards her. "Gift this to you, we felt we should,"

Linora reached out and grasped the metal object in her hand. She froze, her eyes scanning the metal and mechanisms of the device. "Jena's lightsaber--!"

"Jena would want you to have it," Obi-Wan nodding knowingly.

Turning the saber to hold it vertically, she grasped it tightly in her trembling fingers and with a shaky breath, she pressed her thumb against the button and activated the saber, as a purple light sparked into a line, illuminating along her face. "I won't let her down,"

******

"Rise and shine, graduates!"

A commanding voice rang through the dorm as five masculine bodies pulled themselves out of bed. When it came to their facial features, they all looked the same. You might mistake them for quintuplets, but then again, so did every single soldier in this facility look exactly the same. They were brothers, all of them. 

Clones created to serve the Republic and fight in the Clone Wars. 

One Clone sat up sluggishly, staring off into a nearby mirror. His fingers combed through his nearly bid-length black hair as he tied it back into a bun like tail. Any other brother he knew would have gotten it cut or shaved clean off. This one liked his hair long, made him feel unique, aside from his blue tiger strip like war pained on the side of his face. 

"Alright brothers, you heard him, let's get ready!"