²⁸sounds like a bitch

[ dedicated to HyllaTK ]

clementine

I feel like a father whose daughter has brought home a boy I don't particularly take in my favour.

It's not that he's cocky or has a suit of a guy who treats girls like a crumpled piece of paper, I'm just well aware I can be overprotective over Mara, and the men she chooses to bed are not, at the very least, optimal. Though, I shouldn't be one to judge, I'm into someone who I barely know.

I narrow my eyes at one Wyatt Conard, standing across me with an innocent look on his face.

His date with Mara got cut short when she was called in to the hospital, so they had to rush back here so she could get what she needed.

Wyatt drove her back, and when I opened the front door to his tan face, I couldn't help but cringe a little bit. Admittedly, he looks a little less douchey with just some pants and a sweatshirt on, but I can still see his suit and the way he smirked and winked at other girls before Mara approached him.

"I know I'm not exactly in your good graces -" He starts, his voice already annoying me before I have to cut him off.

"You're well aware you're not in my good graces, and by now, you should've already figured out why," I recall the many times Mara was broken up over practically the same douchebag, and I hate that I see Wyatt doing the same. "You slept with her last night and I'm cool with that, but I don't understand why you're still here,"

He looks at me, eyes wide as he's clearly taken aback by my straightforward attitude, as I am when I'm mad or annoyed.

"You don't even know me," He replied, giving the look of uncertainty.

"To be honest with you, Wyatt," I spit out his name. "Mara's been with a bunch of assholes who really didn't deserve her. Why I don't like you is because I have no reason to believe you're not just another asshole,"

He stares at me, visibly gulping down his nervousness before clearing his throat to reply. "Clem,"

"Clementine," I interrupt.

He nods. "Clementine, I'm sorry she's been with those assholes, but I swear I'm not one of them," He says, trying to redeem himself.

This feels like a game of who is and isn't worthy. "I bet you those guys would've said the same," I answered coolly.

He sighs, shrugging his shoulders. "I don't know what to tell you,"

"Let's go!" Mara calls out, quickly walking from her bedroom to the shoe cubby by the front door. "Wyatt, you ready?" She asks, hurriedly putting on her white shoes.

Wyatt nods. "Ready, babe," He turns to me and gives me a small smile. "Hey, nice paintings, by the way," He makes his way to Amara and opens the door for her, smiling when she mumbled about her mismatched socks.

I do see how he looks at her, so fondly even in a rush-the way her past boyfriends never looked at her.

Mara shouts goodbye at me before rushing out with Wyatt, leaving me in the silence of the flat.

Somewhere from the living room, I hear the ticking of a clock, timing my silence and mocking my boredom.

I take my phone and start scrolling through my notifications, one after another like, comment, and follow. I rarely spend much of my time on social media. Plus, they're all on private, leaving me to only have friends and family as followers; which I don't really mind since I barely post on them.