²⁸sounds like a bitch

Start from the beginning

I pause on my screen, an idea popping in my head.

Quickly, I type in Luke's name in the search bar, pressing on the account with the blue verification check amongst others with the same profile photo and name - fan accounts, I'd assume.

I click on his story and see the video of Sunny start playing, followed by a photo of my guitar, my distorted reflection on the black exterior. Next was a recording of me painting his nails, and I smiled, recalling the memory.

The camera was pointed down at his half red-polished hand, comfortably in mine as I held the polish brush in my other. "Stay still," I advised, pausing from painting.

He shakes the camera a bit. "I am still," He replies.

"No you're not, you're shaking your hand," I answer back.

"I'm not, your hand is just a little cold!" He defends himself, shaking the camera even more till it's no longer clear.

"No, it's not, you're shaking!" I say a little louder

"Well, because you're holding my hand!" He shouts.

We pause. The camera is still, facing black. Silence is clear and I remember staring at him, searching for something to say to diffuse the moment.

I remember his wide-eyed stare, blue eyes clearly going through a panic. He stared at me like a child caught guilty, too still.

In unison, the sounds of our barking laughter invaded the air and the camera starts to shake between light and dark.

"Oh my god, that was so awkward," I said between laughs.

He snorts, his laugh growing as the video went on.

"Are you recording?" I asked, struggling to bring out the words as another laugh escaped my mouth

"Yeah,"

"Don't post,"

"I'm posting it,"

The video cuts off, exiting back to his profile, leaving me in a smiling state.

I look down at my newly painted nails, the deep red glossing.

I exit out of his profile, staring back at the search bar with the multiple results for a 'Luke Hemmings'. I click on the fan account below Luke's account and press on the first post - a screenshot of Luke's most recent story, the video of us laughing.

My eyes fall to the caption, a mixture of multiple emojis and capital letters. "WHO IS THIS GIRL?!?!?!?!?!?" I read, my heart racing at the thought that they'd found me out.

I found my way to the comments, reading through the many variations of the caption. "Lmao who's cat was that??" Another commented.

After too many question marks and capital-letter questions asking who I was, I find one comment, standing out between the others. As calmly, the person commented, "Sounds like a bitch tbh" paired with the shrugging emoji.

I stare at it for a second.

This is where I hoped not to end up.

I click out of the comments and stare at the post, thoughts running through the crevices of my mind.

They don't even know me yet they're already judging, how much more if he actually posted my face or said my name? How much of that one comment could I get?

I return to the comments, seeming to want more of something. I don't know what.

I scroll and I scroll, stopping at one fan's comment. "By how she sounds, I ship"

I grin at the one comment, having a few replies agreeing with them.

I click out of Instagram, a burning idea moving me to my contacts, clicking call on Helene's number.

I wait a few seconds, the beeping keeping me bay.

When she finally answers, I enthusiastically greet her. "Helene! Hey! Hi!"

She chuckles from the other line. "Clem? Hi, you sound very happy,"

I nod. "Maybe, I don't know. I'm more nervous. I just wanted to ask you something," I lean back, anticipating her answer.

She hums. "What does it pertain to?"

"Job," I answer, dragging out the word. "And relationship,"

"Ah, what happened?" She asks, expecting something by the tone of it.

"No, nothing happened. I just want to ask if... something can happen," I purse my lips, unsure of how I should go about it.

She laughs. "Okay, go ahead, ask."

I take in a deep breath, the nervous words clear in my mind. "If I were to pursue a relationship with a client, what would be the repercussions?" I bite down on my bottom lip, chewing, my heart drumming in me.

Helene takes a moment to gather her answer. "Clementine... I'm going out on a limb here and guess there's a client of yours you're thinking of dating," She replies and I stay silent. "I've known you for long, since you were eighteen, and speaking as a friend and someone who wants the best for you, I'd love if you pursued this relationship. But as a superior and co-worker, I suggest against it,"

I knew this was coming, but having it said like this hits a little different than I thought it would.

"If you pursue this client, the company might find it suspicious. They could think you're offering the client unwarranted discounts or free paintings; and unless you've got proof that you aren't and haven't been, you could get fired. At worst, it'll stay in your resume and you might rarely get hired again," The tone of her voice tells me she cares deeply about my decision.

We stay silent for what seems like the longest time. Maybe she's waiting for me to say something, I don't know.

I already know my decision, but it seems that my mind cannot make up some simple words to let her know what I might do.

╳╳╳

Happy birthday HyllaTK!!!!! 🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊 happy 16th u absolute pearl of a human bean.🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸🌻🌸