Imagine 30 - Classmates

You were a student at Fordham University's School of Law. You had just transferred to the schools night program. Your professor had announced there was going to be a group project with a minimum number of 2 group members. This meant you couldn't work alone. The fact that you were a new student, didn't help at all. The thought of a group project was making your head spin.

Your eyes scanned around the classroom, looking for someone approachable to work with. Just as you were about to get up, you felt someone tap your shoulder.

"Would you like to work together?" The man asked.

He was tall, had dark blonde hair, and piercing blue eyes. You were mesmerized for a moment but quickly snapped out of it. He looked strikingly familiar.

"Oh uhm sure." You replied.

"I'm (Y/N) by the way." You said again.

"Dominick Carisi, but you can just call me Sonny."

Your brain paused for a moment

'Where have I heard that name before?' You thought to yourself.

Then it hit you. He was your boyfriend from the 2nd grade. You two had only dated for a week and then never spoke to each other again. But you continued to go to the same schools for your middle and high school years and apparently for college too. Maybe this was fate trying to send you a message.

"Wait Dominick? It's me (Y/N)! We dated in like the second grade."

"Oh wow really? What're the odds?" He said before nervously laughing

He definitely sounded like he was trying to lie about something.

"You don't sound so surprised."

"Well...." He said before trailing off.

"What is it?" You questioned.

"I somewhat already knew who you were. I heard you talking to the professor before class started. That's kinda the whole reason why I asked to work with you."

"Why didn't you just say that then?"

"I didn't wanna sound like some weirdo stalker y'know." He admitted.

"Fair enough." You said before laughing.

"So how've you been? You look great!"

"Thank you! I've been good. You're looking pretty dapper yourself. You really grew up."

"Yeah, puberty will do that to ya."

As you two continued to talk more, you could sense he was nervous about something. He was stuttering and stumbling over his words.

"You seem nervous. Are you feeling okay?" You asked.

"I-I'm fine.."

"You're lying. I can tell from the tone of your voice. You were my second grade boyfriend, Sonny. You can tell me anything." You teased.

"I never thought I'd be able to actually tell you this but.."

"C'mon spit it out!"

"I've always had a crush on you, (Y/N). You were like the one that got away."

You were shocked for a moment. Why did he never tell you this sooner? After all, you went to the same school for like 13 years.

"Why are you telling me this now?"

"You had a long-term boyfriend during high school. I'd be a fool to admit my feelings to someone who was already in a relationship. Speaking of him, you two aren't still together are you?"

"No no, don't worry. We broke up like right after high school ended. I'm most definitely single at the moment, have been for a while now actually."

"This must be fate then."

"I thought the same thing." You admitted.

"Well, now that you are single. Maybe we can try a relationship for real this time?" He asked.

"I'd like that." You said before smiling.

"How about you come home with me tonight after class. We can work on our project and eat tons of pizza." He offered.

"Like a study date?"

"Yeah I guess you could say that."

"Sure, why not! I'd love to get to know you more and hear about everything you've been up to!"

You couldn't have been more excited to begin this new chapter of life.