[Imaginary Knife]

Start from the beginning

       “Have you memorized the names of all the slaves?” She asked Arius,

       “No, I haven’t.” He paused, “These two are special friends of mine.” He emphasized the word ‘friends’.

       The Princess nodded her head, “Ah, I see.”

       I looked up at Arius, who was sweating like crazy. “My Prince, is something wrong? You are sweating oceans.” I said as I put my hand on his forehead.

       Arius smiled, “I’m fine, thank you.” He took my hand and held it for a few seconds and then let go. “Well, you two might have some work to do so I’ll be off.” He said as he turned around to leave.

       “Wait, my Prince.” The Princess called. “You told me that these two were special friends of yours, why have you not told them the wonderful news?” She asked him.

       Arius froze; with his back turned from us and the Princess giggled. “No need to be shy!” She grabbed his arm and pulled him towards us.

       I think I twitched.

       Arius looked at the ground, with a strange expression.

       Kiana smiled her perfect smile. “I’m your dear Prince’s fiancée!”

       My heart stopped. It was quiet for a few minutes. My eyes never left the face of Arius, who didn’t dare look up at me.

       “My Prince, are you still shy?” The Princess asked and then she looked at me; it almost looked like she was glaring, “Are you happy for your dear friend?” She asked.

            I looked at her and smiled, “Congratulations.” I said and Arius finally looked up at me. I bowed, turned around and walked away. I could feel the stare of the Princess, Saia and Arius but I didn’t stop, I couldn’t. I wrapped my arms around myself and began to run. I held back the tears that were trying to escape. I thought I heard him call me, but I didn’t stop.

[Arius]

  My heart stopped. Perfect, I thought, absolutely perfect!

“Are you happy for your dear friend?” Kiana asked as she tightened her grip on my arm.

       I wanted to shout: No, this was not my choice! But I couldn’t. I felt like I was going crazy, what was Alexandra going to say?

       “Congratulations!” She said and my head shot up. I saw the pain in Alexandra’s eyes, and as soon as I did that pain hit me a hundred times harder.

       She bowed and then walked away.

       I looked at Saia, who stared at me in disbelief.

       Alexandra then began to run and it felt like she was leaving me, leaving my heart. I shook my head and then pulled away from Kiana.

       “My Prince?” Kiana asked.