Chione - [The Beautiful Beggar Boy]

When I opened my eyes, I realized that I had fallen asleep. I stretched my arms and looked at the low sun, it was almost time for it to set.

       When I stretched my legs I heard the sound of quick footsteps. I turned to look at what it was but then someone’s foot bashed into my face. That person tumbled onto me and cursed, then he got back up and ran. I got up and put my hand on my face as the pain rushed through me. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. Startled, I turned around quickly whipping my hand in that persons face.

       “Ow! God!” He yelled. It was the same boy who knocked me in the face.

       I scowled at him, still holding my aching nose.

       “Okay, okay, I deserved that!” He said “Sorry, are you okay?” He asked.

       “Yes.” I said a little rudely, but I immediately felt bad, “Thanks.” I finished.

       He smiled at me, and I smiled back. He wore torn up clothing and had long brown hair. His eyes were light brown and he was pretty skinny too. He looked to be about the same age as Arius. I shook my head, trying to keep Arius out of my mind.

       He was a beautiful boy and seemed pretty nice too. “My name is Haru. Who are you?” He said, holding his hand out.

       “I’m Alexandra.” I said as I shook his hand.

       “Alexandra, huh? I’ve never seen you around, are you new?” He asked as he started to walk.

       I shook my head, “No, I’m a servant at the Palace.” I said following him, I didn’t know why though.

       “Oh! Lucky!” He said, smiling to himself.

       “Lucky? Are you being sarcastic?” I asked, confused.

       “No way! You spend you’re life in a Palace! How cool is that! Plus, you don’t need to steal food, you get your own!” He stretched his arms.

       I laughed, “What were you running from anyway?”

       He held out a cloth bag, and then opened it. Inside were two pieces of bread and an apple. “Stole them.” He said, smiling. “I know it’s bad to steal, but I’ve got no other choice. I’m pretty much a beggar.”

       I smiled at him and he smiled back.

       “Hey Alexandra, you’re really pretty.” He said, calmly.

I felt my face go hot. “Um, thank you.”

       He laughed. “I’ve never really talked to a girl before.”

       “Do you live alone?” I asked, trying to change the subject.

       “Yup, my parents were killed, about six years ago…” He paused, “By the Pharaoh himself.” He looked down at the floor. “Right in front of my eyes too.”

       I sighed, feeling bad for him, “What a coincidence, mine were too.” I said.

       “Really?” He asked as he sat down against a wall.

       I nodded my head. “Yes.” A said, scowling at the floor.

       He smiled warmly at me. “Well, I don’t think we’re the only ones who are going through this.”

       I nodded, he was right. “Poor us.”

       He laughed and then patted the floor beside him. I sat next to him and watched him open his bag. “I really like you Alexandra, so I’m gonna share my lunch with you.” He said smiling at me.