t w e n t y - f o u r

Start from the beginning

"I have a question for you," Aspen confessed bashfully, an awkward warmth climbing up the back of her neck. Though she had convinced herself just an hour before that this was the right thing to do, her nerves weren't exactly placated. She hadn't been in a rink in a little over four years, and she wasn't entirely convinced that this was the right way to start. She knew all about "diving right into the deep end," but maybe wading would be the better option.

Then she thought about Caine's advice, and Joey's earnest desire for her to come to one of his games. She thought about Connie asking her every week if she'd be there, Charlie offering his jersey, and Elle's tearful eyes as she pulled her into a comforting hug. She owed them this. And she owed it to herself, too.

Charlie perked an eyebrow. "I'm all ears."

Aspen picked absentmindedly at her thumbnail. She was entirely aware of Delanie's piercing gaze, along with the hopeful glint in Charlie's warm eyes. She didn't have to force the smile that appeared on her lips. "What time is the game on Thursday?" she asked. She had to bite her lip to hold back her laughter at the wide-eyed expression that spread onto Charlie's face.

For a moment, all he did was stare at her. Then, once he remembered how to use his tongue, his grin returned and he spoke. "6:30," he informed her excitedly. He was going to leave it there, but he couldn't quite help himself. "Should I be expecting you?"

Aspen let his question hang in the air for dramatic effect. Delanie had subconsciously leaned forward, craning her neck a bit to hear Aspen's response. Underneath the table, Charlie had his fingers crossed. When she figured that she had antagonized them enough, Aspen laughed, "Yeah. I think I'll be there."

Charlie just barely withheld a cry of joy. Delanie clapped her hands together excitedly. "Oh, Aspen! You can sit with my friends and I, if you want. I'm sure you'll love them," she offered sweetly.

Though she appreciated the offer, Aspen was quick to decline. "Thanks Lanie, but Roland and Jay will be there. I'll make sure to come say hi, though," she promised.

Delanie nodded in understanding, a genuine, happy smile on her lips. Though Aspen didn't know it, Delanie was one of the few people who actually understood her. The girl was undoubtedly delighted to see her friend exhibiting pure growth.

Charlie, on the other hand, was half-oblivious and half-unbothered. His grin didn't waver as he leaned against the table, his arms crossing over his chest. There was no flirty smirk or flustered blush. He just appeared to be genuinely happy. "You know Aspen, my offer from before still stands. I have an extra jersey in my closet that's begging to be worn," he proposed. After a moment, he added, "Preferably by a pretty brunette."

Aspen felt her cheeks redden as she smiled at his offer. It was almost impossible to decline, especially when coupled with that charming grin. But she somehow found it within her to resist his charisma. "As lovely as that sounds, I actually think I'll be wearing someone else's jersey," she apologized, though there was a mischievous smile on her lips.

Charlie's grin faltered ever so slightly, but he was quick to regain his composure. "Should I be jealous? Because I feel like I'm gonna be jealous," he quipped playfully. Aspen could tell that there was a bit of honesty beneath his joke, and for some reason, that inflated her ego.

She shrugged coyly, a smug smile painted onto her lips. When it became clear that she had no interest in debunking his claims, Charlie let out a pained groan. "Aspen Folsom, you will be the death of me," he joked with a wholesome smile.

Aspen returned the smile easily, her eyes shining just a little bit brighter. "Just don't die yet. You still owe me a date."

--