The School Regulations

"You must kill someone if you want to leave".
My mind froze and my breath caught in my throat as I thought about that. I could feel a paralyzing fear slowly making its way through my body, dominating every last nerve. The air hung heavy on me, pressing down like a weight around my neck. It took everything I had just to endure that weight. But for as heavy as the air felt, all it took to pierce it was his sharp words.

"So? What are you going to do now?" Kyoko asked.
"Just stand around glaring at each other?"

His pointed comment was directed at everyone in the room. It helped pull us all back to reality.

"R-Right! He's right!" Taka exclaimed.
"Sometimes, even if you're nervous or afraid, you just have to step forward! To forget such a simple fact... I can't forgive myself. I'm so ashamed! Please, someone hit me! I can't forgive myself! Somebody hit me! Punish me!"

"Jesus," said Mondo.
"If you have time to yell about it, you have time to DO something about it.

"Perhaps, but... what is the mission, exactly?" asked Hifumi.

"Idiot!" Leon said.
"To look for a way out, duh!"

"And we totally need to find out whoever was controlling that stupid bear and beat the hell out of 'em," Junko added.

"B-But... before we do all that, maybe we should take a look at the handbook..." Chihiro suggested.
"It's probably best to check out the school regulations Monokuma mentioned before doing anything else."

Celeste nodded.
"True. If we stumble around with no clue what the rules are, something like that might happen again..."

"Shit..."  Mondo mumbled.

Junko sighed.
"Fine. Then let's hurry up and check out the stupid rules already."

After turning on my e-Handbook, the first thing that appeared was my name. So, just like Monokuma said, the owner's name showed up front and center. Then, from the main menu that popped up, I selected the School Regulations icon.
An itemized list appeared onscreen. It was the school regulations.  In other words, the rules being imposed on us all.

"1. Students may reside only within the school. Leaving the campus is an unacceptable use of time.
2. 'Nighttime' is from ten p.m. to seven a.m. Some areas are off-limits at night, so please exercise caution.
3. Sleeping anywhere other than the dormitory will be seen as sleeping in class and punished accordingly.
4. With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your discretion.
5. Violence against Headmaster Monokuma is strictly prohibited, as is destruction of surveillance cameras.
6. Anyone who kills a student and becomes 'blackened' will graduate, unless they are discovered.
7. Additional school regulations may be added as necessary."

Feeling a slight dizziness, I raised my face from the screen. As I looked around, I saw the same stormy expression on everyone's faces.

"This is bullshit!" Mondo exclaimed.
"What the hell kinda rules are these?! I'm not gonna let them control ME!"

"Well, then, why don't you wander around the school without a care in the world and see what happens?" Celeste asked her with a light chuckle.
"Personally, I would love to see what happens when someone breaks one of the rules."

"But if she got punished like what we saw before, I don't think there'd be a respawn waiting for her..." Hifumi said nervously.

Mondo was silent for a second, then spoke.
"I... Ever since I was little, I grew up with my older brother pounding this into my head: when a man makes a promise, he has to keep it, even if it kills him. Well, I'm not a man anymore, but I believe that saying still applies."