🌼 THIRTY-NINE 🌼

I called mum later at night and told her all about my relationship with Derek. I didn't want to keep anything from her this time. I didn't want anything going wrong.

  "Well, what about Philip, baby?" she asked. "Are you two quarreling or something?"

  I sighed, not wanting to talk about it. "Mum, he's fine." I answered with a shrug. "Well, how about you? Are you doing okay?"

  Her voice ceased as I expected her to say something.

  "Well?"

  "I'm fine, honey. Momma's just fine."

  "Lucille. Where should I drop this?" a voice rang in almost immediately, getting me alarmed.

  "Who's with you, Mom?" I asked with suspicion, wondering why it sounded familiar.

"Oh, baby. I gotta go now."

"Mum!"

  "I'll explain later. Trust me." she spoke hurriedly and hung up on me.

  I was surprised by it. Mom's never in a hurry. Why, unless she's got something doing? "Something's up!" I snapped my fingers, not letting go of the thought.

  I picked up my book and soon began reading. Not long after, I slept off—this time having a dream about my father.

  "Tell your mother that I'm coming home. Home. Home—" his words echoed around me, though I wasn't seeing anyone.

  What was Dad trying to tell me? I kept on asking, wishing he could explain to me. Can the dead really come back? Is there another world that I do not know of?

  I wasn't one who believed in the supernatural world, but this got me curious.

  I stopped asking questions and focused on the reality in front of me. I had to let things not bother me, but to get over the nostalgia that I was feeling instead.

  If mum was moving on already, she would have told me. She can't move on that fast, I shrugged the feeling off and got up from where I laid.

  The rumbling in my stomach reminded me of the sandwich that I had left in the rack. So, I made for it and grabbed ahold of the plate where it laid—swiftly taking it out, with so much hunger, making me unable to resist its appealing looks, though I knew the taste would not be as it were.

  I sank my teeth into it, humming as I took a bite out, and savored the taste. "Not bad!" I took another bite out, this time coming to a stop.

  "Oh, this is bad." I burped, my hands placed on my stomach.

  I made to stand, unable to do so at a try—staggering backwards as I fell, my mouth giving way for a frozen scream to come out, the burning pain I felt paralyzing me from head to toe.

  I wanted to get back up but doing so made it worse. My breathing was starting to get heavier, and I made effort to gasp as doing so brought no good.

  I saw myself on the brink of death, the felt of something murky gushing out of me. "Ahhh!" I groaned in pains, feeling it run down my legs as it came into sight.

  "Trish—" I heard a voice.

  Someone was clearly calling out to me but I couldn't in anyway stand.

  "Will my daughter be okay, doctor? Why isn't she awake yet? Mrs. Parker asked with worry.