Chapter Seven

Disclaimer: I don't own Tom, or Lexi, or Varg, or Benny Junior, or Jathro (though I wish I did)

Tom found Lexi curled up on her bed, her knees held close to her chest. She was staring aimlessly at the wall, her expression hard and cold.

'Lexi?" Tom asked softly.

The Nekross sighed heavily before speaking. "M'fine. Sorry I lashed out at you before."

Tom was evidently slightly taken aback by her apology, that seemed fairly sincere. "Um - it's okay. We all have bad days."

"Guess that's true," agreed Lexi quietly.

"I got the three legged bird you caught," ventured Tom.

"Thanks. It's been a long time since I've hunted properly."

"It was a good shot," said Tom.

Lexi felt an odd feeling. She very rarely got compliments, so one was quite welcome here. "Thanks."

"It's all right." By the Ringed Moons of Nekron, this was awkward. 

Tom was the one who broke the uneasy silence once more. "Do you want to go looking for Varg again, or -"

"No. Leave it till tomorrow." Lexi found enough willpower to flash a small terse smile at Tom, which he returned with his own crooked one.

"Okay." A silence. "You sure you're alright?"

"I told you, I'm fine," assured Lexi, trying desperately not to think of Varg lying somewhere in a ditch. The mental image refused to leave her mind. How long had they been here now? Three days in all? How long had Varg been here then? 

"You want to help cook the three legged bird? I can get the fire going," Tom asked, sensing it was time to change the subject.

"Give me a minute," Lexi requested.

Tom gave a slight nod before leaving the hut. Lexi was thankful for that, she just needed a little time alone. She had always been with Varg on the Zarantulus, they worked together and got along on the whole. Even back on Nekron in the old days they had always spent time together, learning to hunt together. Just not knowing whether he was alive or dead, or whether he needed her help was difficult for Lexi. Just not being in her own body was difficult for Lexi. Who even was she any more? Not a Princess of Nekron, not really Lexi at all. Not really Lucy either. A fabrication. A lie, conquered up by this realm.

 But she had Tom. She wasn't completely alone in this place. And Tom, for whatever reason, seemed to be forgiving her for what she had done in the past. He claimed they weren't enemies any more. 

Did Lexi secretly, deep down, want that? Want them to not be enemies, but friends? To get along instead of try to kill each other? Her brother would call it blasphemy. But Varg wasn't here, was he? Lexi was free in this world. A different person, sure, but freer than she had been for a long time.

She might as well take advantage of that while she could.