Chapter 8

Lauren's POV

The next morning, I woke up with a pair of warm arms wrapped around me. As I came to my senses more, I realised the arms belonged to Joey. I didn't want to wake him, so I lay still, enjoying the feeling of it all.

I used the time while Joey was still asleep to think. I wasn't with Will anymore, and I was starting to fall for Joey. I really did enjoy spending time with him, and he made me feel special, and loved. But what if it got in the way of our friendship? I valued my relationship with Joey so much. I didn't know what I would do if Joey wasn't in my life. What if we could have something more? Something better than we had before? Was it worth risking our friendship for?

Just then, Joey began to stir. I smiled as I watched his eyes flutter open. "Morning JoJo," I whispered.

He smiled and held me close to him. "Morning LoLo. Did you sleep ok?" he asked and I nodded.

"Never better," I replied.

Once Joey had woken up a bit more, we decided it was time to leave the tent. I unzipped it a little bit to stick my head out, and sighed in relief when I saw Joe and Julia were the only ones awake. Joey and I walked over to them, smiling at the sight of Joe and Julia together.

"Morning," Joey said as we approached them.

"Hey guys. How did you sleep?" Julia asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Really well, thanks. You guys?" I replied.

"Same," Joe said with a smile.

The thoughts of mine and Joey's relationship didn't leave my head all day. I really thought about what my friends had told me, how he flirted with me, how he was always watching me, and how he treated me. Maybe there was some truth in it. We were sat on the beach when I finally decided to go for it. I didn't know when I was going to make a move, but I knew I wanted to.

"What are you thinking about Lauren?" Jaime asked as I sat smiling to myself.

I sighed, "I need to tell you guys something," I said.

I needed to tell my friends what had happened with Will, and what I had just decided I was going to do about Joey. They got the message it was something private so we all moved closer to sit in a small circle. The boys were down in the sea so we didn't need to worry about them overhearing too much.

"Uh, so long story short, Will and I broke up on Saturday," I said and everyone gasped.

"But you were here with us on Saturday," Meredith said and I nodded.

"The charming gentleman broke up with me over fucking text. But anyway, he had basically been seeing someone else for 6 months of our relationship, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been seeing someone else before that. But anyway, I'm fine, I just needed to tell you that before I told you the next thing," I said. I could tell by the look on my friends faces, they were hoping I would say something.

"If this is about the massive crush you have on Joey, then we already know. Heck, the whole world probably knows," Jaime said and I sighed.

"Am I really that obvious?" I asked, giving in. They all laughed and nodded.

"We don't call you Lauren Heart Eyes Lopez for nothing," Julia said with a smile.

I frowned, "you call me what?" I asked.

"You know the heart eyes emoji? That's what you look like every time you look at Joey. Every. Single. Time. So, yeah, you are a bit obvious," Meredith said.

They proceeded to tell me more about the obvious signs I had been giving them.

"Ok, ok. I get it. I'm not the most subtle. But Joey hasn't noticed," I said and they laughed.

"He's just as bad as you. But neither of you recognise it because you're so caught up in the whole "we're just friends" thing," Meredith explained.

"Well, anyway. I've decided I'm going to do something about it. I just don't know how, or when," I said, which caused my friends to get extremely excited.

We launched into plans of how I was going to get Joey alone and tell him how I really felt. Opening up about it made me feel so much better, but I did also feel very anxious about it all. I wasn't sure how Joey was going to react. The things my friends had said gave me a little bit more confidence, but I couldn't shake the fact that they might be misinterpreting it. The only way I'd know for sure was if I gave it a go. The plan was decided, and now I just had to wait. I wanted to give it a few days before I said anything, just because I was worried about there being a potential fall out.

That night, we were all sat together as usual. Julia had suggested she moves into Joe's tent, and Joey comes with me. She'd spoken to Joe about it, but it was my job to ask Joey.

"Hey JoJo," I said, walking over and taking a seat next to him.

"Hey Lo," he replied with a smile. "What's up?"

I looked down at my hands. I was so nervous. "Uh, well Julia and I were talking earlier. And she wondered if you and her would swap tents permanently so she could be with Joe. I just wanted to check it was ok with you before I said yes," I said, not looking at him. Damn you, Lauren, for getting nervous at the first step. I took a deep breath and chanced a look at Joey.

"Of course, only if it's alright with you though. I don't want you to be uncomfortable," he replied.

I smiled, "Joey, we've slept in the same bed and in the same tent before. I think I'll be fine," I said. I stood up and wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing his cheek. "You're the best."

I hurried over to Julia, as if to tell her it was fine with Joey and I for him to share my tent.

"How was it?" she asked, a smile etched on her face.

"I got nervous and couldn't look at him at first. But then I asked him and he said it was fine as long as I was comfortable with it. Which he must know I am considering we've slept in the same bed before," I said and Julia put her hand up to stop me.

"Uh, when was the bed sharing?" she asked and I sighed.

I had forgotten I didn't tell them about this part. "Friday night, when I stayed at Joey's, rather than making him feel as though he had to sleep on the couch, I told him he could share his bed with me. Stupid, I know," I said and Julia rolled her eyes.

"How the two of you haven't figured this out yet, I'll never know," she said. We headed back and joined the rest of the group, the excitement was building in me as I thought of being one step closer in my plan.

••••••••

For some reason, this story got loads more reads yesterday (in comparison to where it was). Thank you so much for reading - it really means a lot to me!!

I hope you enjoyed chapter 8!

E xo