Dusk Pt.1

He awoke the next morning to the face of a sleeping angel. Her lashes were long pink threads attached to the covers of his saving grace. As much as he loved to watch her sleep in peaceful slumber, he loved it more whenever she would wake up to look at him with those adoring green eyes of hers. He slipped his fingers under her face and caressed her soft white skin delicately, as if she would slip through his fingers and vanish if he blinked. She stirred in her sleep and muttered his name before pressing her eyelids open. When her eyes had finally focused onto the gorgeous man lying beside her, her face broke into a smile. 

"I could get used to this", she murmured. 

He took her sleek left hand from under the blanket and brought it to his face. He squeezed it before planting a soft kiss on each of her fingertips, gaining what he desired the most: a rose blush on her face. He could now start the rest of his day, with his heart beating like a flutter of wings and his mind at ease about the world. Just as he rolled over to sit up and leave, he felt her tender arms embrace his torso, and her head rest just on the nape of his neck.

"Sakura.."

She kissed his neck. "About the letter from Hokage-sama, are you going to speak to him about it?" She was referring to the scroll they had received last night which had interrupted their two minute and a half date. He knew how long it was as she kept giggling about it as they whispered their good nights.

"That's what I intend to do." He disentangled himself from her and said, "I'll let you know as soon as I can". He brushed her hair away which had fallen across the eyes which he loved so much and kissed her on the brow. He meant it as a 'You are everything to me'; she understood it as a 'I'll see you soon'. 

At the Hokage's office, he greeted his former sensei. 

"Kakashi."

"Ah Sasuke, so you got my message. How do you like the look of my carved face, hm?" Sasuke was indifferent about the new stone face of the Hokage. Sasuke's deadpanned face translated into his lack of interest. 

Kakashi threw back his arms behind his head. "I see you're still not one for idle chatter, haha". Then his face grew serious. "Your suspicions were well founded. We found a lead. White Zetsu cells have been found on the East of an island near the Wind country". 

"Tsk." 

"Do you understand what needs to be done?"

"I'll use my rinnengan to track any more cells. The places they are located may hint to what Kaguya was afraid of."

"Very good. I take you'll be leaving shortly after Naruto returns. It's unfortunate we can't have a Team 7 get together, but at least I'll have two of my students to accompany me."

"About that-"

Kakashi's eyes widened with realisation, and his mask creased which could only mean a smirk had formed underneath. 

***

After his duties for the day, Sasuke met Sakura at her office in Konoha hospital. Her hair was tied up leaving only a few strands of hair framing  her face, and she was wearing a white three-quarters lab coat. She perked up as Sasuke entered. 

"So?  What did Sensei say?"

"He approved."

Sakura yelped and threw her arms around Sasuke's neck, kicking the air. Sasuke had to readjust his feet to keep him from losing balance and toppling over. He grasped an arm off him, and pleaded, "Sakura, please. Not here."

She let him go and placed her hands behind her. "I'm sorry. But I can't help it!"

He looked at this woman in front of him, a grin on her face, and suddenly had the urge to show her what she meant to him. A feeling he had never felt before surged through his body, consuming him. He wanted her, in more ways than one. She took his hand and they left the hospital together, hands clasped under his black cloak, concealing their private moments from the rest of the world.

He could understand her happiness, it was what she had sought after for so many long hard years. Previously, he had always taken something from her, whether it was her happiness, or time, and  only leave her with the gift of sorrow. But this time he would make amends. They had spoken about it the night prior whilst on the bench sat beside each other. He could almost hear her remind him of the maybes he had kept. He could still hear her as she pressed her head close to his, as they looked at the scroll from the hawk, as the twilight sky shone in her eyes, asking, "Will you take me with you?" And as he replied with a, "If that's what you want". 

That evening he didn't take her to watch the sunset. Instead, he took her home. As they entered, a baffled Sakura broke the peaceful silence, "Sasuke, aren't we going to watch the sun?" 

Sasuke closed the door and pinned her against the wall, his hand above her. He leaned in close until she could feel his breath hovering near her ear. His face lowered closer, inch by inch. "You're the only sun I ever want to watch", his voice husky with desire. Before she could say another word he locked their lips together in a passionate kiss. She returned the favour. He felt her hands unclasp his cloak, and felt it drop to the floor with a soft thud. Her hands then tugged at his black shirt and he allowed her to pull it over his head, leaving his bare skin to glisten in the setting sun which was seeping through the window. She exhaled heavily, taking in his toned body. He watched her as she took it all in, although she had seen it all before, but not with a tension high in the air that made her feel things she had never felt before. 

"Sasuke..."

"Sakura, is this okay?"

Gently, she placed her right hand on his bare chest and felt for his thudding heart. She placed her head on his chest, and whispered. "Yes. More than okay". She looked up at him, "Are YOU okay?" 

He blushed a crimson red and stared into her green pool eyes as dusk painted the sky; the streaks of light emitting from the yellow orb, the brushes; the orange glow of the sun, the pallet. She whispered up at him, "It's okay if you're not ready." He lowered his arm from the wall and held her close. He kissed her candyfloss hair and felt it tickle under his lips. He loved her even more for understanding. 

He used his rinnengan to swap their position in the room with a pillow on the bed. They lay together, with her resting on top of him. He combed her hair with his fingers as his chest heaved up and down. 

"Sakura. You're my..." She looked up at him expectantly. He was thinking of saying You're my everything  but his courage dissolved beneath her round eyes. ".... best friend."

"I don't want you as a best friend. Isn't that what you said?"

He smiled. "I know. I just... I don't think I can give you everything until after..." His voice trailed off, unsure if he should admit his inner-most thoughts.

"After...?" She echoed. 

"After marriage." He turned his head away in embarrassment. 

She sat up, her hand still on his chest. "Marriage?? Isn't that going too fast?" 

"I don't mean now... But us Uchiha's... My clan has always been very traditional. Even living here, I'm crossing a line."

She moved her hand from his chest as if she had been electrocuted. "You're not thinking of moving out are you?" She raised her voice slightly, distraught. 

He brought her down beside him again with his right arm, and chuckled softly. "No. My home is wherever you are". 

Dusk settled into night, and they moved their way into the kitchen to eat their dinner, before falling into each other's arms again.  

A/N: I've tried my best to keep Sasuke and Sakura true to their character. I'd be grateful if you could let me know if you think I've been successful.