bonus ch - moon and star

Beginne am Anfang

'yoshida tsuki, gold medalist, 1994 winter olympics'

soonyoung opened the album back to the picture of him in the crib, and pulled it out. he flipped it over to reveal another scribble on the back:

'our little hoshi, 1995'

soonyoung's eyes burned through the picture.

'what's a hoshi?' he thought to himself.

soonyoung crept out of his room, trying to avoid certain areas he knew creaked too loud.

he heard his dad snoring from the living room, probably blacking out from drinking too much beer, he wasn't surprised since it was a common occurrence in this household.

he snuck down the hall to his parents' room, a place that's usually off limits to him in the day. however, there was a burning question he wanted an answer to, who only one person could give him.

he pushed open the squeaky door and popped his head in quietly, "mommy?"

his mother was sleeping soundly in bed, her eyes fluttering open at the sound of soonyoung's voice.

"oh, hello dear."

"i have a question..."

"what is it, child?"

"what does 'hoshi' mean?"

"ahhh 'hoshi' means 'star' in japanese, sweet child."

"star..."

"that's right. would you like to hear a story?"

"that sounds nice."

"okay dear. the year is 1994, in lillhammer, norway. a japanese woman wins the gold medal in women's singles. she nails every single move in her dance, every move of her wrist, her triple axel... everything was perfect. and when she wins, she stands on the podium and in the distance she spots her husband. he was a big shot at a shipping company, but he loved her dearly. she always dreamed of winning gold, but after that she acquired a new dream: to be a mother. she wanted to live in a little house close to the city, where her husband could relax after a long day at the office, and she could take her child to the ice rink and teach them how to skate, just like she did. she was an ice dancer, you see. she would glide and fly across the ice, like a fairy. it was freeing and magical."

"that sounds like so much fun!"

"it was, dear. it truly was."

"then why don't you ever take me skating?"

"well why would i take you, child?"

"because you always said you wanted to take your child skating...?"

"oh sweetie, i have no children."

"but you're my mommy?"

"oh?"

"don't you remember me? i-i'm soonyoung..."

the quaint smile that rested on her face contorted into one of confusion.

"you're wrong... i have no children... you're lying..."

"i-i'm sorry mommy..."

"i'm not your mommy! i always wanted to be a mother! there's no way i'd forget!"

she was flailing and crying, a crazed look in her eye as she started to scream.

"you are not my child! don't lie to me!"

she raised her hand and looked down at soonyoung, "you're a liar."

*whack*

she struck him.