Chapter 9

The entire week passed without any sight of Thomas, not that Layna was keeping a count. She considered herself too busy to engage in such thoughts and hadn’t she heard countless times from Emily about how men really were.

Capricious in nature and attitude, and yes let’s not forget, she did not have any claim on him.

Be it whatever, they had just exchanged few kisses and that was all, even if the kisses were seemingly heavenly, everything she had ever read in novels; yet they did not mean anything to her and to him.

And she was very sure he must have engaged his interests on someone else by now. The point was, Layna told herself as she and her cousin’s drove towards Aunt Mary’s house, number one; she wasn’t interest and secondly, she did not miss him, not even one bit. So what if she had been overtly surly with her students, that wasn’t anyway related to Thomas Conrad or the fact she looked towards the parking lot after exiting the university building.

No, not at all.

Layna vowed to ignore him during the trip that is provided he turned up. As if she cared. Well, she had news for the man; she didn’t give a damn.

She got out of the car looking appreciatively at the mini bus standing in Aunt Mary’s curb.

Emily looked at her and winked,” Aunt Mary never does anything in half measures.”

That comment was met by Alan’s voice who had come out of the house to help the girls take out their luggage,” In this case you can bestow your compliments on me.”

Emily simply rolled her eyes and waved her hand in dismissal,” Putting into purview the new information, well, I have to say, your brain must had a momentary luck into honing such an idea.”

“Pish posh, say what you want to now Emily. We all know you were impressed,” Mia pealed as she hefted a heavy cooler out and deftly handed it to Emily and stalked empty handed towards the bus.  

Emily bulked under the weight of the cooler, narrowed her eyes at Mia who cheekily smiled at her and shook her head,” Impressed, ha. Never.” And walked towards Alan, taking in the light box he carried in his arms, gave him a disgusted look, dropped the cooler on the ground while snatched the light box from his arms.

“The cooler belongs to you now, Alan,” Emily jeered as she rushed to the mini bus.

Layna gave out a loud laugh,” Sorry, Alan. Knowing Emily you should have anticipated that. Now, be a man.” She patted his back in encouragement.

Alan glowered at Layna,” Be a man, I will show her, the brat. You better watch out Emily.” He waved at Emily.

Emily stuck out her tongue from the bus and screamed,” I am not scared Alan.”

As they continued to bicker, Layna realized she was the only one left with three things to carry,” Hey, guys. I can’t carry this alone.”