𝓲𝓲.

Romulus woke up with a cat in his face

Romulus woke up with a cat in his face. Ziggy worked better than any alarm clock ever would. A week after having him the cat memorized his owner's sleep schedule and sat at the foot of his bed waiting for him to wake up. If he didn't wake up in sufficient time Ziggy took to climbing on top of him and trying to wake him. Maybe he meowed or batted at his face, anything to wake up his owner. At first, it was a shock, Romulus nearly threw him off when he did it the first time but after a while he got used to it. With a rub of his eyes, Romulus slowly sat up and yawned.

"Alright, Ziggy I'm awake. Thanks," The boy said accompanied by a scratch behind the ear.

Like always, Romulus was the first up in his dorm. Even though he didn't do it, he understood completely why his dorm mates tended to sleep in. The yellow and black quilts that covered their beds must have been charmed or something because it took everything in their power to pull themselves out of them. Still, he managed with great effort. After putting on his school robes he made his way downstairs into the Hufflepuff common room. From the circular windows, sunlight streamed in steadily with an assortment of plants either on the windowsill or hanging from the ceiling.

He could hear one of the plants humming a steady tune which it normally did in the morning. Fascinatingly enough, it was never the same song.

"Good morning, Romulus,"

The boy turned to the mantle above the fireplace where a beautiful ornate portrait of their house founded, Helga Hufflepuff sat. She always looked the same, ever since he first met her in his first year when she welcomed the newest students to the family and gave them some words of encouragement. Ringlets of chocolate fell loosely out of her pointed hat and well past the shoulders of her golden robes. She regarded everyone who crossed her portrait with kind eyes and wherever she smiled her eyes would get smaller and her sun crinkles would become more prominent.

"Good morning, Helga. How was your summer?" Romulus questioned.

"Oh, you know, same old, same old. Just hanging around," Helga said with a hearty laugh. She made the same joke each year. "And yours?"

"Just fine,"

"Well, I don't want to keep you, I know you're excited to get some breakfast. Have a nice day, Romulus," Helga said kindly.

"You, too," Romulus said before turning toward the tunnel entrance that led out of the common room.

He made his way through the dimly lit tunnel until he came out into the kitchen area of Hogwarts. He could smell the delicious scent of the house-elves baking wafting from the kitchen. His stomach was practically doing back-flips at the thought. At his feet, Ziggy darted past. He'd taken to exploring Hogwarts during the day while Romulus was in class. He didn't know what his cat did but he just knew that throughout the day he sometimes randomly saw Ziggy on a windowsill soaking up the sunlight or trying to catch spiders in the dungeons. Interestingly enough, he always knew when Romulus was heading back to the common room and always met him at the entrance.