13: Behind My Betrayal

Start from the beginning

Our father-son moment is over when the doctor came in. She asks her questions and I answer them just how Andrew instructed. "I was having a bad day, so I guess that I had a little too much to drink and I fell down the stairs. I'm just so lucky that my father found me, or else I don't know what I would have done."

The nurse doesn't catch my hidden sarcasm, but Andrew noticed it quickly. Like he always did. "When can I take my son home?" He says, getting straight to the point like always.

"We'll have to keep him here overnight for evaluation, but he can go home tomorrow morning." She smiles lightly at the both of us.

"Evaluation?" It almost sounded like concern tainted his words, but it was probably just an act. "I thought you said he was fine."

The nurse nods. "He was lucky to get away without a severe concussion, but you have nothing to worry about. It's just a precaution." After turning away from my father, she looks to me. "Before I go is there anything I can do for you?" I shake my head no. "Okay, I'll be back to check on you in the morning, but if you need anything just press the assistance button."

After the nurse leaves the room, Sabrina comes back in, but she isn't alone.

He looks at Andrew before he looks at me, then hurries over to me. "I heard you were here and came over as fast as I could. You're not hurt too badly, are you? Did the nurse say something about a concussion? Are you hurt? . . . Of course you are, that's a stupid question. Are you getting enough water? I could get you some! Just tell me and I'll-"

"Harry! Harry, calm down," I chuckle lightly. "I'm fine."

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure."

Harry grabs my hand gently, but isn't able to get another word out before Andrew says, "Visiting time is over. It's getting late, Austin needs his rest."

"Actually," I say, "could Sabrina stay for a moment?"

Father looks at me -probably deciding against my request- before nodding and leaving the room, along with Harry who sends me a little smile.

When everyone is gone except for her and me, I reach out my hand for her to take it. She steps a few feet forward to stand next to my bed and takes my hand. "What really happened?" Her grip on my hand is firm, but gentle.

She is the only one who sees through my facade.

A heavy weight sets in the back of my throat as I try to think of something other to say than the truth, out of habit. "I did fall down the stairs," I don't lie. There's no point in that now. "but I wasn't drunk. I was pushed."

The look on her face is one I can't place, but I try not to. I have enough to worry about already. Her eyes spoke louder than her expression, like she was trying to keep her feelings to herself for my benefit.

"Why?" Her voice comes out with a croak, like she is trying to keep herself from crying.

"I was upset with how we left things between us when you left after finding out about my father, so I wanted a night of fun." I don't know why I don't want to tell her about the party I threw last night, but I know better than to keep it from her. "I threw a party."

"And your dad found out," she completes the story.

'Dad' is a word that makes me cringe, because I know I'll never have one. A dad is supposed to be the person you count on to raise and defend you, not raise a hand while you defend yourself.

At first I think that Sabrina will wear a face of sympathy, but that's not what I see. The look she wears is one of disappointment. "Why do you do this, Austin?"