*.:*:.*Chapter 8.1*.:*:.*

The city center of Apeti Tonatl looked like an entirely different place the next morning. The early morning mist clung damply to Nero's clothing and hid his own feet from him, and the only sound he could hear was the muted staccato of footsteps as he, Taziè, and Taloc followed Coza and Malotl across the empty space and towards the pyramid. The entrance to the Caverns emerged from the mist, and Nero could see the lights of several torches extending down its steps. The light was a welcome respite from the still-lingering darkness, but Nero did not like to think about where those steps led.

You don't need to go into the wet rock-pits, the Voice told him for the fifth time that morning. If you would trust your wings I could lead you back to your nasty people myself.

But Nero was determined not to use his wings—never again. He had caused himself and his mother enough trouble and pain, and felt that his Goddess would not forgive another slip-up. He also did not trust the Voice, although he was guiltily pleased to have it back.

The small group passed beneath the entrance's strikingly painted arch and began to descend the stairs, which grew gradually less and less ornate until they became a sloping walkway hewn from the red of the living stone. Above them the ceiling ceased to be smooth and became the rough, jagged roof of a cave. Only the torches stayed the same, extending down as far as Nero could see.

Still no one said anything, although Malotl kept glancing back at Nero with a look that could almost be called anxious. She and Coza had stressed to him before they left the house the dangers of trusting himself to his companions, but after Nero had insisted on continuing with them they had given in—and given him two pieces of advice.

"The letter you have with you is for our cousin," Coza had told him quietly. "But it is only to be delivered if you find yourself in danger. It tells him who you are, and advises him to let you stay with him and to obey whatever command you give. If you find that your companions are ill-intentioned—"

"Ordinarily we would not allow you to leave," Malotl had interjected bluntly. "We would keep you here and send word to the capital. But things are in a bad way if you do not get home as quickly as possible, and you cannot travel alone. Many people in this empire would give a limb to take one of the emperor's. So we will ensure that you get on your way safely, and you must look out for yourself from there."

"We can keep the metal crutch safe here for you if you like," Coza had offered. "We can easily get you a wooden replacement to attract less attention."

But Nero had refused. He had grown very fond of the crutch. No other had fit so well or caused him so little pain. He felt stronger with it, and would not give it up yet. So Malotl had given him the second piece of advice.

"Hold it close," she had said grimly. "That metal is rare—best not to tell you how rare or what it can do. Coza and I have met with only one other piece made from it, and keeping it is one of the most dangerous things we have ever done—especially in the reign of your father."

Nero, who had still been reeling from the insinuation that someone might cut off one of his limbs, had hardly registered any of this. But now, as they approached the end of the passageway and stepped into a large, bustling cave city with a ceiling so high he could not see it, he remembered and wondered if keeping the Old Fellow's crutch was truly the right decision. These people were not brightly dressed like the inhabitants of Apeti Tonatl. They had hard, busy faces and although some of them turned to look at the newcomers, their gazes were not friendly. Would they rob him?

"Come along, dearies," Coza said briskly. "The skids are this way, and we cannot be late." She turned to the right and kept close to the massive cave walls. Nero followed with the others, glancing every so often at the city to take in details he found frightening.

Taziè had said that the rocks of the Caverns shone with their own light. And while the walls of this strange city did have a certain glow to them, it was faint and green; it made everything and everyone look unfamiliar and ill. The city was not a towering and impressive stone one like Apeti Tonatl but rather consisted of several towers and huts made from logs and brush. The buildings closest to them were the easiest to see, and they were frightfully rundown, with pieces missing in their thatch and sagging walls. A couple of children were playing in between buildings, and they stopped to watch him go past.

He wondered if it were really the light of the stones making their eyes gleam green like that.