*.:*:.*Chapter 7.1*.:*:.*

Good afternoon, everyone!

If you are reading these installments as they are posted then you will notice that I have changed both the cover and the title of this story. I want to know if you approve of the change--it seemed more straightforward to me than what I originally had, but does make the title a little less singular. 

Some important revelations are coming up. I hope you enjoy these next installments!

Stay safe and happy,

Morgan Lester

- - -

Coza and Malotl's home really was right next to the city center. It had an impressive three levels of rooms—even noble homes in Apeti Lun usually had only two. Nero was happy to use a steam bath for the first time in a while, and still happier to have an excuse to put on nice clothing—to have a cape across his shoulders instead of scratching sleeves. Coza and Malotl both nodded appreciatively when he emerged, blinking, to join them on their front terrace.

Taloc and Taziè were already there, seated on intricately carved wooden stools—and when he saw them Nero had to blink a couple of times before he recognized them. Taloc's stringy green hair had finally been properly braided back, and his disreputable rags had been replaced by a neat, clean grey tunic. He no longer looked rakish—only wiry. He grinned at Nero, his teeth stained with some unknown liquor, and raised the ceramic drinking bowl he held in greeting.

As for Taziè—Nero had often, rather uncharitably, remarked to himself on her lack of sophistication. But now he was forced to admit to himself that, at least with fine cotton clothing on, she looked just like any other noblewoman from the capital—aside from the brightly colored feathers, which had been newly braided into her tied-up curls. Fortunately, no one noticed his shock. The ladies of the house returned to their conversation with Taziè.

"Apeti Lun is such a long way, dear," Coza observed. "We are happy to help you on your way, but whatever are you going there for?"

Nero felt a moment's panic, but Taziè answered smoothly that "Atlan, our cousin" was returning home after a yearlong visit and they were going along to see the capital.

"Cousin," Taloc chuckled. "Funny, that."

Malotl looked sharply at Nero. "You won't find much of a welcome in Apeti Lun, that's what," she predicted ominously, and then folded her hands as though she did not intend to say anything else.

Coza laughed affectionately and patted Malotl's arm. "We just returned from Apeti Lun; we went for the Ta'Vedin harvest festival," she explained, curling a strand of her blue tresses around one soft brown finger. "When we left a phase ago the city was all in an uproar. It would be one thing for the emperor to die and leave a body, but he hasn't. He's vanished completely! And we've not heard any news of his return, so it will likely be in an uproar still when you arrive."

Nero felt his heart drop into the pit of his stomach. No one could know. No one. He wanted to get away, but there was nowhere to go—he didn't even know how to leave the house.

"They tried to hush it up," Malotl added disdainfully. "They would—the Thirty Elders are always going and doing some fool thing—but the servants spread the news, and then wouldn't say who had told so that none of them could be killed. Now the Elders are threatening to kill them all, but they'll never do it. They haven't the nerve." She nodded solemnly.

"The emperor?" Taziè asked slowly. "We are from Peti Itsu and don't get much news down that way. Did I mishear, or is the empress dead?" She wasn't paying attention to Nero now, but he saw with a shudder that Taloc, who until now had only laughed and ingested more alcohol, was watching him. Did he know? Would he see this as a 'cast of the beans' in his favor?

He is strange, the Voice remarked. Who can say what he knows? On the day I came out of the egg—

But Nero was desperate to know what was passing and didn't listen to the last part. He instead heard Coza describing the new emperor as a mighty man, tall as a young tree and strong from training with the atlatl. "To be sure," she admitted, "they say he was ill as a child, but they would not give him the throne if he were not what an emperor should be."

"How could such a man just disappear?" Taziè asked, eyes shining with excitement. Nero rather suspected she liked the idea of a strong young emperor who disappeared—he was sure she was thinking of magic, and wondered dully what she would say if she knew that the emperor was beside her, tired and feeble as a drunk rabbit.

"No one knows. But I believe it will upset the chain of succession immensely—that is unless the emperor should, by some miracle, return." Coza nodded and tried to look serious, but did not succeed. Though their reactions differed, it was clear that both she and Malotl delighted in calamity. That had probably been what brought them together.

"Miracles? Not likely," Taloc grunted. "But about the skids—'ow much's it goin' to cost?"

"Nothing for you," Malotl responded sharply. "We are not in the habit of accepting payment from the poor."

"We've lots of resources," Coza laughed. "We wouldn't need your sack of cacao anyways. There was a time when we were just as ill-off as yourselves." Then they both nodded as if to say that was that.

"You can't have been," Nero burst out in shock. "Nobles can't be poor."

"Oh, but we aren't nobles, dearie. We've seen fishing villages in our day. When we first started we hadn't a stitch on our backs." Coza gave him a curious sort of little smile. "Now! You may all start out again tomorrow if you are so eager to be gone—Malotl and I know that two old women are hardly stimulating company—but there is to be a ceremony at the pyramid today with dancing and traveling drummers. If you would like to go..."

"I wouldn't," Taloc grunted. "Look't these old bones. T'ain't likely they'll be doin' much dancin', is it? 'Course, I danced once. D'you want to 'ear 'ow I was once a duck?"

Both of the ladies of the house seemed highly interested. But Taziè and Nero both hurriedly agreed that they wanted to attend, and it was settled that Coza would accompany them while Malotl, who, it turned out, owned a very handsome Tolli board, would stay with Taloc.

The Voice was very sulky by the time Nero finally paid it attention once more. Dancing, it hissed. Pointless. Light their bottoms afire and you get the same thing.