Chapter One

It was a nice peaceful day. Arthur had surprisingly given me two days off after our little hunting trip and I was going to enjoy them. Or at least I thought I was until the dollopheads had to go and ruin it.

"MERLIN," Arthur yelled as he came around the corner stopping right in front of me before continuing, "So you also told Gwaine he was your best friend after you said Lancelot was."

I scratch the back of my neck nervously before saying, "Maybe?"

He opened his mouth to say something but right at that moment Gwaine came bursting around the corner saying, "How dare you, Merlin? I thought you said I was your best friend. How could you go and tell that entitled brat that he is."

As he says this, dread slowly starts to form more and more as I see Lancelot coming to see what the commotion is about. When he gets over here, he states, "Well, clearly he was just telling you both that to appease you two. I am clearly his best friend. I know all his secrets."

Arthur looks angrily over at him, "What like his magic?"

Lancelot gasps in shock, "You mean you know?" Arthur nods and Lancelot's face slowly turns into anger. "And you haven't done anything to change laws?!?! How much of a monster are you? This is one of the reasons why I'M Merlin's best friend and not you."

Lancelot grabs my arm and we storm away from them. When we get far enough away, he pulls me to the side and says, "I apologize if I said anything out of line back there. They were being petty brats. Honestly, I think it's your decision for who is your best friend. I just want you to know though that you are mine."

I sigh, "Thank you, Lancelot. They were being pretty prattish back there. Honestly, I don't know who I consider my best friend."

As I finish talking, we hear two loudmouths arguing while looking for me. I sigh. It looks like I'll be hiding out for a while.