Chapter 17/Whisk you away

Start from the beginning

How does she manage to get to my heart?

No girl has ever been able to do that.

And I literally couldn't agree with mom more.

As if Haya isn't already flushed enough, Maira decides to add, "And Haya likes him too."

This just makes Haya's cheeks beet red.

I stifle a laugh and make myself serious because this situation doesn't require a laugh at this moment. Not when things are this tense. Not when it comes to making Haya mine.

"I understand how young love can be," Haya's mom begins. She looks relieved, as if she was just waiting for me to ask Haya's hand in marriage. "Although I have no reason to say no, we'd like some time to discuss this with each other. I'm sure Haya has no issues and that she's very eager to marry Aarib—"

"Mom," comes Haya's warning. She even sounds embarrassed. After all, I'm finally getting to know that she's been into me all this time. And of course she likes me too. It's hard to resist someone like me.

Just saying.

Her mom chuckles. I notice they both have the same eyes. But Haya's are more on the caramel brown side than a dark brown. "You might not have told me about it, but I know. I'm your mother, Haya. You think I don't notice these things?"

"Okay, I get it that you notice but just don't embarrass me." The last words that she said were a hushed whisper.

I could tell my mom was trying not to smile.

And me? This time I just let the grin creep up on my face. I even chuckle a little which makes Haya groan with annoyance.

I am so enjoying this.

"Yes, we understand these matters should not be dealt in urgency," mom says, but I disagree with her. Haya and I need to get married as soon as possible. "But we're always hopeful and would love to welcome Haya to our house."

The conversations continue on for another fifteen minutes during which the food arrives and we all fall silent to devour it except for a few questions here and there asked by Hassan to me. I understand a brother needs to make sure where his sister is going is safe. I would've done the same for my sister, if I had one.

Thirty minutes later, we leave the restaurant and mom bids farewell to Haya's family.

"Is your brother going to be fine?" I ask Haya, staring ahead at the road that seems to stretch on forever.

She's standing right beside me, watching the two mom's laughing and chatting their hearts away. I glance sideways and see a smile tug on her lips. Cute.

"I don't know. He has to be fine with this. I have to tell you something," she mumbles, biting on her bottom lip. I wish she'd look at me.

My heart skips a beat. "I hope you're not backing away from our marriage," I mutter with a frown creasing my forehead. My mood sours in less than two seconds.

"What?" she laughs, hopefully not at my bad mood. "Quite the opposite, actually." She nibbles on her bottom lip. She does that a lot, especially when she's extra nervous. And that happens almost every time when she's with me. "I was gonna tell you today that I have agreed to marry you. For obvious reasons," she adds, rubbing her palms together and blowing into them.

For obvious reasons? I feel my heart pulse erratically. "Oh, come on, Haya. We both know you want to marry me for more than just the reason because of my family. Adding 'obvious reasons' in your statement's not gonna fool me, keep that in mind."