eight

"So, let me get this straight

"So, let me get this straight. You two are Cupids. Like those winged babies that fly around and shoot arrows at people. Except you're dead."

"Yep."

"So, you're ghost Cupids."

"Uh—"

"And you needed to match one couple each...but ended up mismatching everyone in that room including the person I'm matched with."

"That's the easiest version we can give you."

"...Bullshit."

Scarlett rolled her eyes as Sebastian pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. Once the effects eventually wore off, the teenagers were left in a state of confusion as to why they had acted the way they did, leaving Mr. Redford in a satisfyingly awkward silence during the rest of detention with his Coke and burger. They all practically bolted the minute it was over, but the two Cupids made sure Samuel didn't run away and now they were sitting in the front of the school at a picnic table trying to convince him that they were exactly what they said they were.

"Give me some proof," Samuel said flatly.

"We don't have time, man." Sebastian's tone was impatient and Scarlett could see that he was regretting asking the boy for help in the first place. "You just need to trust us."

Before Samuel could say anything, Scarlett leaned forward and took his hand in hers. Both boys were surprised at the gesture, but she ignored it and began to speak.

"If I were a normal teenager, you can believe that the last thing I'd want to be doing right now is making other people fall in love. But, we're real life Cupids and it's our job. We just want your help to make it a little easier."

"We don't know the school, the teachers, the community." Sebastian chimed in. "You just have to get us in with the people and straighten it all out and then you're free to make out with the love of your life. Good deal, huh?"

Samuel shrugged.

"I don't really believe in that stuff."

"What stuff?"

"Love."

"You're joking. You. The boy who looks like he lives for poetry slams and pouring his heart out to a bunch of random strangers who snap their fingers—"

"Okaaaay, I'm just gonna talk to him for a sec!" Scarlett's reassuring smile disappeared once she dragged Sebastian away from the picnic table.

"What are you doing?"

"Sorry, but you have to agree with me, he looks like the emo version of Dr. Suess."

"Seb, you're killing me here." She snapped. "It was your idea to get him to help us and you're not helping!"