13

Tonight is the night.

The fair.

It was July 3rd, and everyone was to be at the fair tonight. Tomorrow was the fireworks show by the water and I was so mad that I was going to miss it today.

I told Vince that I was leaving yesterday through FaceTime after I left Micah's. He was of course upset but understood the situation with my sister.

It was five o'clock now, and I was getting ready for the fair. I decided on a cropped front tie shirt that was red with little white flowers, and basic blue jeans with a black belt. I put my curly hair into a medium ponytail and left some strands of my hair loose. I grabbed my mini black backpack and walked down the stairs where everyone was waiting.

"I'm still upset that we won't have our fourth of July cookout with you guys this year." Vince said, talking to my mother.

"Oh my God. I'm missing momma P's ribs this year!" Kyle sucked his teeth.

"Don't you worry. We could have a back to school cookout when we get back." My mom patted Kyle's shoulder and laughed.

"Oh you better! Your food always slaps." Onya chuckled.

"Thank you, guys. Now how about you all head to the fair now, huh? Helena and I have an early flight tomorrow." My mom said and I came into view.

"And where do you think you're going with your boobs all out like that?" My mom's facial expression changed.

"Mom." I groaned out of embarrassment.

"Oh wow, there is the pretty girl." Yazzy whistled and I laughed.

"Come on." I said with low confidence.

I've never had a huge amount of confidence growing up. I always felt like everyone's second choice, but now I'm feeling more alive and wanting to take my chance.

I am alive, and my father would want me to continue living my life rather than just being alive and doing nothing.

"Wait, Micah isn't here." Oliver said, noticing.

"I'll text him." I said taking out my phone.

5:36 PM
me / wya ?

5:37 PM
micah / be there in a sec. my mom needed help with something.

"He'll be here in a minute." I told them and they all nodded.

"Here, everyone take a water bottle so you won't pass out." My mom said opening up the fridge and handing everyone a bottle.

"You really are the goat, Mrs. Kimura." Xiomara said grabbing a couple of bottles and helping her hand them out.

"Goat? Is that one of your teen language terms?" My mom looked confused and we all laughed.

"No, it means greatest of all time." Onya told her and my mom ah'd then nodded.

A knock on the door brought our attention to it.

"Alright, let's head out troops!" Oliver said and Vince dunked his head a little.

"Let's hope you don't lose your glasses this time, Ollie." Everly linked arms with him and walked out the door.

I turned to look at my mom and she sighed;

"You better be careful tonight, Helena."

"I will, mom." I looked at her and reassured her.

We hugged and she kissed my forehead.

"I love you." She said and squeezed me tightly.

"I love you too."