Part Thirteen: Saving the Bad Boy (pt 2)

(Part Thirteen: Saving the Bad Boy (pt 2)

(Stephens P.O.V)

"You better be playing some horrible joke on us" Tracey warns me, her finger shaking as she points it at me accusingly.

"I genuinely wish I was" My words come out low and unenthusiastic, but loud enough for the girls to hear.

Zahbia frowns deeply from her spot beside Tracey, "what do you propose we do? march in there and get him back? "

"He's a dumbass" Tracey runs a hand through her hair, sending a pitiful look at Ava.

I broke the news to the girls just now and I'm not going to lie, I expected more of a reaction.

Well, it's not as if they haven't gone through a lot up until this point, so what's a little bit more, right?

Ava has her hands pressed tightly together on her lap as she stares down at them.

With a startling speed, she glances up, tears brewing in her eyes yet a determined look on her face.

She uses Zahbia's hand to pull herself off the couch, before wiping away the tears on her face and clearing her throat.

"What are we waiting for. Let's go. "

~ ~ ~ ~

I'm quiet certain Ava is having a mental breakdown, which is causing her to act rash, but nonetheless we're in a car, on our way to save Mr. 'Walk headfirst into danger'

I'm only slightly hypocritical, but that doesn't matter.

I glance back at Ava in the mirror, "are you okay AJ? " I offer a small smile.

She looks back at me, a serious look on her face.

"No."

Despite her answer, she continues to prepare.

"Did you call the police? "Tracey asks Zahbia, anxiety in her voice.

" Yeah, they said it'll be about 10-15 minutes, but they'll come as fast as they can. "

I'm not surprised by that answer, the place we're heading is far into the woods, and hard to navigate in the dark, which is the precise time we chose to go.

Clearly not out of convenience, more so, just being uneasy at the idea of leaving him there any longer.

He's still healing from his surgery, and I mean yeah... He's a tough guy, but he's only human.

I frown at the idea and clench my hands tighter on the wheel.

~ ~ ~ ~

(Avalon's P.O.V)

We pull the car to a stop a few blocks away from the house, behind where Xavier's car is parked.

"Okay game plan ladies, let's go over this" Stephen rubs his hands together and turns to face us all.

"Wait for the police? " Tracey pipes up, although joking, sounding afraid.

I look down at my hands, which hold my pepper spray, feeling angry at myself for letting him go do this, but knowing I couldn't have stopped him.

Zahbia speaks as well, in a similar tone to Tracey's, "I have to agree, I mean, we're not stupid, this could be some kind of trap. "

"I'm almost certain it is, but what happens if the police don't get here on time? What happens if Xavier and his grandpa are.... " Stephen trails off, clearly upset by where his thought process was going.