*Chapter 7: He's Back! And Everyone's a Little Worse for Wear...

Snow was reading by the front door with the boys surrounding her when Zane burst into the house. He looked around wildly, and then his eyes fell on JC who was sitting nearest to the door.

"Kitchen. Now," Zane demanded, and walked away without even a look in Snow, or anyone else's direction.

JC stood, and no one followed, unsure if they were included in that statement. Zane paused before entering the kitchen looked back. "All of you." he glanced at Snow who looked like she wasn't sure if she should stand. "Not you, sorry Snow."
She nodded, understanding but still confused. What was nagging at her though was that he had left in perfect condition, and now looked like he had seen a ghost and battled an army. For all she knew he had.

When the door to the kitchen closed, Snow stood. She crept slowly towards the kitchen door, keeping quiet as a mouse.
"-Followed us. They attacked in the woods." 

Murmuring followed. "No, we walked through the night. We arrived at the edge of town and then an assassin killed the hunter." 

More words Snow couldn't decipher, but she stayed put.
"No, no. He got away. I tried to save him, I really did," a sob escaped Zane lips and Snow heard shushing.
"It's alright Zander, there was nothing you could have done to stop it," she heard Nicholas say.
"Yes there was! I could have moved faster, covered our tracks, watched and listened! I was careless, and now someone's dead because of me."
Snow felt her insides grow hollow. Someone was dead? Where did Zander even go? What had he done? And an even worse thought entered her mind: did it involve her?
"No. Someone is dead because of the Queen. She wants Snow dead for a reason. She wanted this man dead for a reason. We just have to figure out why, and keep her safe," JC said clearly. There was bustling, and Snow jumped. She ran back to the couch and grabbed her book as soon as the door opened. Zander walked out and stalked straight into the bedroom, not once looking at Snow. Jameson and Nicholas and the others followed suit, giving Snow a curt nod as they walked past and closed the bedroom door behind them.
Soon it was just her, Merlin, and JC.

"What happened?" Snow whispered softly, standing up. Her baby blue dress fell around her body, making her dark hair stand out.
"Nothing you need to be concerned about Snow," Merlin said.
"I-I heard... Someone, died?" her voice choked on the last word, and her eyes started watering. "Did they die because of me?" Her voice cracked on the last word and a tear that had managed to get away slipped down her cheek. JC looked away. Merlin wrapped his arm around Snow who buried her face in his shirt.
"It's alright Snow. He died valiantly, protecting his family. Don't worry darling. Shushhhh." Merlin rubbed Snow's shaking back and JC held a staring contest with the wall.

He was terrible at comforting people. He was the one good at giving speeches, or boosting moral. Not soothing crying woman. He tried before and it just didn't work out well. He grew up around men who never cried. JC had once seen a man's arm get sheared clean off his shoulder and he didn't even whimper.
But right now he wished he could console Snow in any way possible then just standing there. But she looked to Merlin as a brother, and 'family' love is what she needed right then more than anything. He turned and walked away slowly into the bedroom. Better to let Mer deal with all that, he thought.

M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M

Snow moved silently around the home as she prepared dinner for the eight of them. After Zane had come back with that whole fiasco, the boys had said they were going back to work, and left every morning at sunrise (after a breakfast of eggs and bacon-and if Snow was feeling up to it- pancakes), and came back at sun set. It was almost that time, and she had just finished laying the green beans on the table when they came bursting through the door. It was normally a loud and noisy affair, as they hung up their coats and took off their boots and exclaimed how hungry they were.