*Chapter 5: The Hunter and Turn Around

Snow cooked with a semi-scowled face as she moved around the kitchen, sautéing the chicken with vegetables, cooking pasta, and slicing up fruit for a fruit salad. Suddenly the door swung open and she raised her knife.

"I will cut you." She turned around and JC was standing there, looking a little uncomfortable. Well that's a new look for him, she thought to herself. She set the knife down next to the fruit, and picked up the wooden spoon.
"Can I help you?" She stirred the pasta, and then moved to the chicken.
JC sat down and began tapping his fingers on the tabletop. "Your head is wanted by the Queen." He stated.
Snow stopped stirring and looked down into the pasta. He had an interesting way to start a conversation. "First you insult me, and then you tell me my step-mother wants my head? Do you even consider yourself a gentleman?" She turned around and frowned at him. Lines formed in between her eyebrows and her lips were slightly pouted
"I do." JC said. "For reasons you don't know." He stood up and walked over to Snow who held her spoon tightly in her hand. He stood inches away from her, and he lifted a hand. Memories from years ago, of a different girl, flashed briefly in his mind but he shoved them back into the deep recesses of his mind. Now was not the time to cut open old wounds.
"Hurt me and I'll scream bloody murder," she whispered, holding her breath and whishing she had kept hold of the knife instead of the spoon. He took his thumb and rubbed it in between her eyebrows smoothing the wrinkles down. Her face relaxed slightly but her cheeks burned a bright red, and JC smirked.
"You look less stressed when you're not scowling all the time." Snow gapped at him as he walked out and the chicken stared sizzling loudly.
"Oh shut up." She said, scowling again and turning back to stir the pasta with gusto.

* M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M * M *

"I WANT HER HEAD AND I WANT IT NOW!!!" Screamed the Queen, looking for something new to throw. She paced up and down the Throne Room, walking on broken pieces of pottery and glass that she had pitched and smashed to smithereens. Her dress trailed along behind her, blood red in color.
"Your Highness-" the Guard said.
"No. She's somewhere in those woods! I know it!" She gestured out to the window behind her. "And if she's not dead already I want her dead NOW," she spun around and started walking the other way.

Her Guard watched as this repeated for several minutes and turned to look out the window. The tree's bare branches swayed in the wind, laden with snow and icicles.
"Why don't you send someone in there after her?" He said suddenly, covering his mouth as soon as he said it. He had known Princess Snow quite well, and would never like to see her dead; no one would. The Queen had no idea, but no one in town would ever speak a word about where Snow was. She was their only hope of defeating Penelope.
The Queen turned around and looked at him, grinning. "Why, what a wonderful idea. Why don't you go?" she snapped. The Guard's eyes widened.
"But my Queen-"
"And if you don't not return with her heart, I shall have to take yours instead." She turned back around and walked to the window. "Now be off with you. I haven't got all the time in the world." She glanced at the mirror hanging behind the throne chair. After the ball when Snow fled, Penelope had it moved here where she spent almost all of her time. She straightened herself then smiled when she heard the door click shut. Soon, the prettiest girl would be dead, and the second would reign true and even more powerful.

M * M * M * M * M * M* M * M * M * M * M * M *M * M * M * M

Snow collapsed on the couch as she heard the boys boisterously eating and laughing. Her stomach grumbled but her feet hurt too much to move and get something to eat. Her back ached and her fingers looked swollen. Her wrist was burned and her hair, and body, desperately needed a good scrub. 

She sighed when she heard her name being called and slowly stood. This was going to kill her. She gave a small laugh at that thought. What wasn't going to kill her these days?