Chapter 24: Day 3~Hell Day

***MANGA SPOILERS AHEAD***

(F/N) POV)

Today was the day of the battle at the trash heap.

Both teams were eager to play today. Karasuno has never taken a set from us, and that made me feel a little better about having to play them.

The refs blew their whistles and the game was underway.

Neither side was holding back, and half way through the set, we were down by a few points. We called time out and I handed towels and water bottles out to everyone, "Hey, you guys can't let them beat you! They've never taken a set from us, let's keep it that way! Morisuke, Kai, Kuroo, your goal is to win nationals, right? Let's do this."

Then, I gave each of them praise or criticism, "Kuroo! Keep blocking. Whatever you do, DO NOT let Asahi and Tanaka plow through your blocks!"

He put his hands at his side, "Yes ma'am."

I continued, "Kai, don't let the ball touch the floor. And whatever you do, don't let Hinata get a quick spike in!"

"Morisuke! Don't let Kags get a service ace. Asahi either. And when they bring in Yams, don't let him nail a serve. All three have nasty serves, but I know you can manage."

"Yamamoto! Break their walls with all your strength. You've done it before and you can do it again."

"Kenma! Keep your eyes open like usual. We've got tactics that work against these guys. Use them to their fullest potential!"

"Fukunaga! Keep up the good work. Keep spiking and just dig the ball."

"LEV! DON'T LOWER YOUR ELBOWS! I know you've grown a lot in the time I've been your manager. You're tall, don't let that height go to waste. And jump high."

"Bench, you guys can't stop cheering. Keep the morale up and if you get put in the game, play with your all. We can do this. TAKE THE SET!"

They nodded and Kuroo led a cheer. Everyone went back on the court with smiles on their faces, and Kuroo served the nastiest serve I've ever seen from him.

Noya was able to recover it, but it was a flimsy receive. 

After a few minutes of back and forth play, we had clawed our way up to a deuce.

We scored, then Karasuno scored, then we scored, then Karasuno scored. 

That's how it went until we had the lead, 28-27.

Then, in a blink of an eye, we had scored, securing the first set.

Akane led the cheer section into an uproar, yelling and chanting. Alisa was yelling at the top of her lungs, "Lyovochka!"

I smiled, knowing that it was my pep talk that led us to win the set.

We weren't as lucky in the next one. We did manage to cause a deuce again, but Karasuno scored 2 points right away, meaning we had lost the set, 24-26.

Karasuno looked like they won a war.

They were so happy that they had finally managed to take a set from us that they gained odd looks from onlookers.

The third set began, and before I could even comprehend what was going on, we were losing. As a last resort, we put Inuoka in to make our blocking height taller. Since we put Inuoka in for Kai, Kai sat down next to me. I looked over to him, "You scared yet?"

He laughed, "Not one bit."

I smiled, "Good. Tell Morisuke that he's taking me to dinner when we get home, he can pick. Maybe that will give him a little more fighting spirit."

Kai only nodded in response, "Perhaps."

Inuoka came out of the game and a made him lean down so I could ruffle his hair. I caught a glance of Kai whispering to Morisuke, and Morisuke smirking and looking back at me. Our eyes locked, and I could almost feel the competitive aura surrounding him.

Then, Karasuno was at match point.

21-24.

We got an intense rally going, and I was beginning to think it would never end.

Then, the ball hit on our side of the court.

Kenma's hand slipped as he went to set.

We had lost.

Us third years weren't as bothered by it as the rest of the team, and we congratulated Karasuno one by one. I hugged Kiyoko and Yachi, "You guys better keep winning. For us too."

Kiyoko nodded, "Don't worry, we'll try our best."

I then walked over to Suga, "It is now that I take back my words at the training camp. Clearly you guys had it in you. Congrats!"

After hugging everyone on both Karasuno and Nekoma, we parted from the court and rushed over to Fukurodani.

Bokuto hugged me first and spun me around, then Akaashi, then Komi, then Sarukui, then Onaga, then Washio, and finally Konoha. I whispered to Konoha, "Thank you. I mean it."

He let go of me and smiled, "No idea why you're thanking me, but you're welcome!"

I spoke to all three teams, "One of us may not still be competing, but you two better keep winning for us!"

They nodded and we walked out of the gym, the first and second-years letting tears roll down their faces.

The boys got changed and headed to the stands, ready to watch Karasuno play against Kamomedai, who had a player that was about Hinata's height that was invited to the All-Japan Youth Camp.

I put my head on Morisuke's shoulder, "So this is how it ends, huh? I'm glad that I got to meet you, and I'm glad I got to fall in love with you."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "Yeah, me too. How does ramen sound after this?"

I looked up at him, "Sure, as long as you're paying."

He laughed, "I was planning on it."

Karasuno's game was going just fine until Hinata collapsed. We were pretty close to the court, so I was able to hear what was going on. "Hinata has a fever of 39.1 degrees Celsius." I heard someone say. Kiyoko was rummaging through her bag, but found nothing.

She shot me a look and mouthed the words 'forehead pack' but before she was eve able to finish, I threw a pack of fever pads to her and she gave one to Hinata.

Hinata left with Yachi, and Coach Ukai put Narita in the game. 

They were only down by a little, until Tsukishima's legs cramped up and he was replaced with Yamaguchi.

They ended up losing the last set and the game.

We still had Fukurodani to fight for us.

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  

Hey hey hey!

It hurt to write this chapter. Like if Hinata didn't get sick, Karasuno probably would have moved on to day 4. Or if Tsukishima didn't get a leg cramp.

I'll only be writing one more chapter and an epilogue, and that makes me really sad since this story is ending.

Also, the Haikyuu manga is ending soon, so that just adds to my sadness.

As always, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment them!

Oya oya oya?

-Boke