Chapter 9: Under the Stars

(Yaku POV)

It was 12:54 am when I looked at the clock. I'd given up on trying to sleep, so I wandered around the building, looking for a place to relax. I then came across the porch and saw that there was a hammock, so I zipped up my jacket and started stargazing.

Not too long later did a figure come walking out of the door.

"So you couldn't sleep either, huh?"

(L/N) turned at the sound of my voice and said, "Oh, hey Yaku." I replied, "Would you like to join me? I'm just looking at the stars."

"Sure!" She smiled and nodded and a blush erupted onto my face. "You know, you should smile more. It's pretty cute." I said as I made room for her on the hammock.

"Really? I personally don't see it. I've been told that a lot." She lie down next to me, shivering slightly.

I noticed that she seemed to be cold, and I asked, "Do you want my jacket? I have a sweatshirt on under it, so I'll be fine."

She nodded, "Thanks." I took my jacket off and wrapped it around her shoulders. She smiled again and asked, "What do you think is going to happen when we're off in college?" 

"Who knows. Care to place bets on who the next captain will be? Say, 50 Yen?"

She laughed. God, I love that laugh. "Sure. My money's on Fukunaga. He might be quiet, but he knows how to keep the one brain cell squad in line." I shook my head, "I'm betting on Kenma. Also quiet, but he's more mature than our other second years. And Yamamoto's still going to be the ace. I think he'll keep the number four, too. It suits him well."

She nodded in agreement. "Totally. But I still think Fukunaga can handle being the captain."

Maybe it's just the moonlight, but she looks cuter if possible. We kept talking about what the future holds for us, and the future of Nekoma. 

"Oh, and when you're in college, Yamamoto's sister Akane will most likely take your job." She replied to me, "I didn't even know he had a sister. Nice knowing that our kouhai will have a manager too."

Then, I asked her the question that had been on my mind since Fukurodani's bus was put into park at the training camp, "So, do you have a thing for Konoha?"

She shook her head, "No. Well, I did at one time but then we drifted apart after I got injured. I see him as more of brother now than anything, although I don't know if he feels the same way about me."

"Oh, okay." I replied, "Do you have a thing for anyone?"

Why am I asking? Why do I care?

"Well," She began, "I don't really know. If I did, then I haven't realized it yet." That shattered my heart a little bit, but I managed to carry on the conversation, "Yeah, me too. I've always believed in soulmates, but I think it takes a while to recognize that you're with them. Maybe soulmates are a myth, but I'd like to think otherwise."

"Yeah." She said, "I'd like to think they exist too." She blushed slightly, but that might be because it's a little on the cold side. She zipped up my jacket, which was slightly over sized on her. 

I nodded and we stared up at the night sky for a while. I spoke softly, "Quoting you, 'It's really gorgeous tonight, huh?'" She laughed lightly and smiled again, "Yeah, it is."

We both sat up on the hammock and looked at each other. It stayed like that for a few minutes and then I pulled out my phone to check the time. It was 2:12 and we were both wide awake. 

The next question she asked me pierced my heart.

"Do you feel sorry for me? Like the world had chewed me up and spit me out?"

I looked at her with a wide-eye expression, "Why the hell would I think that!?" She looked down and the light breeze sent some hair into her face. "Well, you see, people avoid me at school because they feel sorry for me. And I hate it. I didn't ask for my life to turn out this way. Don't get me wrong, I like spending time with you guys. But I can't play the sport that I love anymore. And I know that people see me as a sorry little soul."

I was not expecting that.

"(L/N), I have never once seen you as a sorry little soul. I may not be able to relate to your situation, and I may not be able to feel your pain, but with all you've been through, how could I look at you a frail little girl who had her dreams shattered? You've been through so much, how can anyone see you that way? You're tough and you're brave, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

She looked me in the eyes the entire time and we stayed quiet for a long time. Then, she rubbed her eyes and smiled, "Thank you, Yaku." I threw my arms around her, engulfing her in a hug. That moment may have only lasted a few seconds, but to me, it lasted a lifetime.

She wrapped her arms around my neck, returning the gesture. I spoke softly, my voice just barely audible, "Don't you ever doubt yourself, (L/N). You're perfect just the way you are. 'Sometimes you have to take a detour to smell the flowers.' If you hadn't been through everything you've experienced, you would never have been able to join the volleyball club, and we wold have never said a word to each other. I would have bombed my math exam, and we wouldn't be here, in this moment, right now."

She slowly let go of me and rested her head upon the pillow that was laying on the hammock.I rested my head close to hers, our faces just inches apart. Her last words before she fell asleep were, "Thank you. You have no Idea how much those words mean to me." As nodded off and I stared at her angelic face, it clicked.

It hit me like a bus.

I can't believe I didn't realize it before.

I didn't feel weird around her because of her deodorant, or anything that stupid.

I was in love with (L/N).

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  

Hey hey hey!

This chapter was kind of bad, but I thought that it was a cute idea. I had no idea what Nekoma's Shorties should have talked about until the end of the chapter, so sorry about the crappy writing.

Also, thank you guys for voting for this story! I never expected this book to have more than 100 reads and we are almost at 200.

And in the words of the dubbed Bokuto, "I AM CALM!" (I've seen both the sub and dub)

-Boke