𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐢𝐱

"I want to know how I can deny an imprint," Sam says at a council meeting days later.

The council stares at him with a mix of gazes. Sam focuses on Quil Ateara III, knowing that if anyone has knowledge of imprints, it's the man who's been there for other shapeshifters when they inevitably found their other half.

The old man stares at Sam impassively. "You know as well I do that imprints cannot be denied, Sam."

Sam shakes his head. "I do not believe that. There had to have been someone who didn't wish to imprint with their imprintee." He knows he sounds desperate, but the longer that he went trying to deny his imprint, the more the imprint compelled him to see the vampire. It got to the point where it started to physically hurt Sam if he wasn't at least in the same presence as her every now and again. He's been forced to visit the Cullen's everyday just to sedate the yearning of the bond.

"No one has ever denied an imprint," Sue informs him next, but her eyes are sympathetic as she stares at Sam. Even she knows how much he detests vampires.

Sam despairs at this. He clenches his fist, balling it up so tight that his fingernails leave indents that heal over, again and again until he releases the grip. He stares at Billy Black, his last hope.

"Please," he says, and he feels himself tearing up and that's horrible because why him? Why did he have to imprint on something so dreadful, an evil being that had no remorse. No care for anyone but itself. "Please, tell me there's something, Billy. I beg. I can't be imprinted to this-this thing."

But Billy just shakes his head, eyes sad and downcast. He doesn't answer Sam right away, and that shoves a knife in the side of Sam's stomach. He runs a hand through his hair and then presses his face into his hands, sighing out.

"I'm sorry, Sam," Billy says, "but there's nothing to be done. Unless she denies the imprint herself, there's nothing that can be done."