Mute Yet You Understand Me ʚ♡⃛ɞ

(Y/n) sat on the school's rooftop with her bento box on her lap, lid still on and backpack by her side. Every day at school, Senku always came up to meet you for lunch. It was one of the few times you felt comfortable, but it was because of Senku.

You had met him during first year in homeroom, the fact that he was a genius was easily noticeable, so many students admired him or were in awe just like you. How did he get along with everyone so easily? He just said what's on his mind, even if it was a bit too blunt and people accepted him. You didn't get that, you struggled the opposite. With so many people, so many voices and opinions and thoughts, you choked up quickly and shied away, you were mute. A couple classmates tried to talk to you but they didn't understand why you couldn't speak back and shortly left you. It wasn't until a homeroom assignment a couple weeks into the semester that Senku reached out to you.

The assignment was a simple paper but the teacher wanted everyone to do it in pairs. For whatever reasons, Senku walked over to you, sat backwards in the chair in front of your desk and crossed his arms over the desk, saying with a smile 'we should work together'. It utterly shocked you and your lips turned into a thin line as you stared down at your desk, anxiety causing your blood to race and your thoughts to be overbearing. He would tire of you and leave you like everybody else, this project wouldn't work if you didn't speak and you really didn't want to speak.

The project was difficult, but Senku never stopped working with you. In the first hour, he figured out you were a mute person. It's been a long time since somebody figured you out, it gave you a slight uplifting feel. Over time, he kept speaking to you, even though was one way. He brought you to the lab to show you small experiments he was working on, ran with you during gym (and you slowed down for him) and stood up for you when a couple other kids tried to tease you.

A couple upperclassman had cornered you in the hallway, questioning and teasing you about how you never speak. They don't understand mute, they just make fun of what they don't understand. You were breathing heavy through your nose, your muscles tensed and curled and your head tucked down. This was a horrible feeling, and after all positive feelings you've been having while around Senku...you missed that right now. Insanely missed that. To your surprise, his voice rang in the halls and the moment you looked up, he was standing in front of you, guarding you. That made your heart flutter, watching him defend you even if he may get beaten up for it. Thankfully Taiju arrived, unfortunately he took the beating. But as the kind soul he is, he said he'd take all the beatings that threaten to come towards his friends, and that included you. It was so hard to find the words to thank him, but Senku and Yuzuriha translated your emotional tears to Taiju for you.

Not long after, he invited you to have regular lunches with Taiju and Yuzuriha, but offered you the space that if you're too uncomfortable, you can leave, no hard feelings. You didn't want to disappoint him, he went through so much trouble for you. After Senku dully explained what being mute meant to Taiju, they were completely and openly accepting you and your small methods of communication. If it wasn't for Senku, you would've never known you could have these wonderful memories.

"(Y/n)!" You snapped out of your thoughts and looked up to see the scientist walking over to you. The rooftops were quite during lunch (Senku's recommendation) and he noticed you would slip a couple words out here and there. He knew that you were feeling comfortable then. You waved up to him while he took his seat next to you, bento box in his hand. Once he was finally next to her, now chattering on about Taiju being an idiot again in the lab, you noticed your shoulders relaxed and the breath you'd been holding was released. It seemed kind of sad, but you naturally got a bit anxious when he wasn't with you. Over the year he became such a pleasurable cornerstone, one who continued to support you.

His crimson eyes glanced over when he felt a bump on his shoulder. You rested your head on him, a pure smile gracing your lips and your eyes closed. He let a soft smile form too. You didn't have to say a word for him to understand how much all of this means to you. His hand came up and rested on your head, ruffling your hair a bit. Some things are better left unspoken.