His voice sounded like garbage cans slamming together, and he needed to shut up.

"Really?" I asked, making sure my twisted up face looked like that was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard.

Spinning around to address the gathering crowd, I held up my hands. "Guys, did you hear that."

They knew better, most of them, my classmates.

"Okay!" Zack cut through the crowd. "Out of the way, out of the way."

"Listen up. We have some good news and bad news." Zack looked around, speaking more to the crowd than To Roman and me.

Everyone groaned, and a few cussed.

Caleb.

"Shit!" Natalie cursed. "I spilled beer."

I twisted around to see what happened, and the whole world stopped when she found my eyes instead.

That's how she was different from other girls.

I liked it when she looked at me.

Taking off her jacket, she tossed it to Natalie, who I still hadn't looked at. I guess she messed up her shirt and needed something to cover it.

And Holy God.

I swallowed hard.

Trixie white tank top was thin, tight, and I could see her nipples hardening against the night air.

I looked to Cisco, who had done a double-take. He was trying not to look at her, but it was hard.

Goddammit. I clenched my teeth.

The idea of ripping over there and hauling her all the way home was tempting.

And if he kept staring at her like that, I was going to dig out his teeth with a spoon.

I was here for the race. I reminded myself and turned back to the track.

Isaac and Adam were never head to head. Either Isaac was drastically behind Adam, or Adam was ridiculously distance behind Isaac.

After a minute, the crowd started laughing when they realized that Adam was just toying with his opponent. No wonder Trixie wasn't watching.

She knew it would be an easy win.

On the last run, Adam surged ahead one last time and crossed the finish line to the sounds of cheers and whistles. People rushed his car, and Adam emerged with an idiotic grin on his smug face.

"Everyone, clear the road!"

I jumped.

The Race Master was starting the next event. "Trixie and Roman, get your asses on the starting line."

And suddenly I was nervous about this match.

I honestly didn't know who I would bet on if I cared to place money.

Natalie and I parted with the crowd so Trixie could pull her car out. Cisco and Dustin came up to stand beside us.

As Trixie climbed in and started his engine, Papa Roach blared at a deafening level from her speakers. She revved the engine a few times to get the crowd going.

Roman had just pulled up in his Pontiac Trans Am, compared to Trixie's, it stood an outstanding chance of winning.

"All right!" The Race Master announced. "Clear the track for the main event of the evening."

"Ready?" Little Miss Look-At-Me called.

"Set?" The engines roared.

"Go!" Her arms fell hard to her sides, and the cars zoomed past her, kicking up dust and rocks in their wake. I darted onto the track with the flood of people to watch from behind, more afraid than excited this time.

As much I hated to admit, I was worried. Roman would do something shady and hurt Trixie.

Even after everything, I didn't want to see her hurt.

The car's taillights got smaller the closer they reached the first turn. It was four lefts, and the race would be over. The turns were sharp, and this is where a drift racer might be better for the Loop. The track was small, these cars were big, and the turns were hell. For this reason, no cars were allowed to park on the perimeter of the turns.

Trixie took the route by slowing down to make the turn after Roman, while the latter flowed ahead. Roman would either win or kill them both. Both cars skidded around the turn, sending a cloud of dust into the air, much to the delight of the onlookers who screamed relentlessly. Forging ahead, Trixie caught up to Roman, and they proceeded.

My heart pounded, and my stomach was felt tight from the nervousness.

Coming up on the last turn, Trixie pulled back behind Rowan, but she wasn't slowing down. As Roman rounded the last corner, he skidded further to the edge while Trixie took the inside. Both cars recovered and were necked to neck as they neared the finish line.

The crowd cleared the track in a mad rush, and watched as both engines thundered past. The cars were so close that I couldn't figure out who'd won.

As both cars slowed to a stop, everyone rushed them in clustered mess of pushing and yelling. No one seemed to know who'd win.

I twisted my neck around, searching for the Race Master guy. He appeared to be deliberating with a couple of other people, probably trying to come to a decision.

"So did you see who won?" Natalie asked, looking confused as we walked up to the cars.

"No. You?"

She shook her head.

Approaching the cars, I noticed the drivers were nosed to nose between the vehicles. They looked like they were about to turn the event into a fight.

"Okay!" The Race Master cut through the crowd. "Out of the way, out of the way."

His eyes swept the crowd, waiting for them to quiet down.

"Listen up. We have good news and bad news. The bad news is that Rowan lost the race, and that leads to the good news, the winner is, Trixie."