Chapter 25

Before the sun sets, Aunt Simona made sure that we are all wearing our garments. Both Semiramide and I are wearing angel outfits. My hair, for the first time since I arrived in Florence, is down and curled up and tousled. My head finally feels lighter.

When we head outside, a lot of people are wearing different attires, mostly saints. Walking around the street, I began to realize why only a handful of people chose to be angels. The dirt of the street will inevitably ruin the white garments of angels.

As we all began the parade, Semiramide uses her white fan to cover her excitement as Aunt Simona looks at everyone as she dresses up as a saint-as to which saint she is wearing, I have no idea. The parade begins as we watch by the sidelines.

Semiramide's eyes are wandering as I amuse myself by looking at the different garments of the people included in the parade.

That is when I saw her. She is wearing her white robe but the hood is no longer covering her face. Her hair is just as red as mine but her eyes are dark blue and a scar that stretches from her jaw down to her neck.

Her gaze made me feel as if she knew me even when I don't know her. Her lips slowly turned up into a smile and then she began to walk along in the parade. I know in my gut that she is Ailbe. Unable to control me, I followed her.

I heard my Aunt Simona and Semiramide calling my name but I ignore them for I am too keen on following her.

She wanted me to follow her all along as she keeps looking at her shoulders probably to make sure that I'm still trailing her. She was about to lead me out of the city. As she turns into an alley, Someone took my hand and spin me before facing him.

The man is wearing a red devil mask that covers half of his face. I look up at him with confusion as I try to get out of his hold when he smirks and tightens his hold around my waist. After making sure I'm imprisoned by his arms, he revealed his face using his other arm, exposing his beautiful face.

"Giuliano!" I said, smiling upon learning of his identity. "You're back."

"I did say I will be here by the parade." He said inching closer towards me.

Knowing he'd kiss me, I placed my fingers on his puckered lips before he could touch mine. "We are in public, Messer. We should act accordingly." I said in a teasing voice.

He then laughs. "So the angel does not want to be seen fooling around with the devil, I see."

I then pushed myself away from him and laugh. "Yes, I am not allowed to let myself bedevilled no matter how irresistible you appear to be."

When I look back at the alley, AIlbe has, once again, vanished. Giuliano's face turned serious when he noticed me looking a little disappointed as I glance at the alleyway. His gaze travelled to where I'm looking and ask, "Is something the matter, Antonia?"

"N-no, I thought I saw someone I knew."

Giuliano looks back down at me and wears his devil mask once again. "Then come away with me. Let the devil tempt you today, angel." As much as I wanted to continue my way towards Ailbe, I decided to enjoy myself with Giuliano instead. I took the outstretched hand of Giuliano and allowed myself to be tempted by the devil.

After the parade, everyone convened in the piazza for the massive bonfire for the dead. As the sun sets, they began to light the bonfire. The flame dances as it burns. Standing in front of it, I couldn't help but feel a tug of familiarity with the event.

Giuliano's hands snake his way towards mine and clasp it with his. Even then, the feeling stayed. Somehow, the images randomly distort to a bonfire filled with people in white. I don't know why I'm seeing these things. I must be hallucinating. I tighten my hold on Giuliano's hand hoping to subside the visions in my head.

Sensing something's amiss, Giuliano kissed my temple and whispered, "I'm here, Antonia." The deed successfully relaxes me and I lean my head on his shoulders as the vision receded. However, my eyes saw a different thing I wasn't expecting.

Giuliano's mother is looking at us in disapproval. Her brows furrow as Giuliano continues to be close to me, much to her chagrin. Not wanting to see us any longer, she walks away and disappears into the crowd. Something tells me that she does not like me being with his son.

When I got back home, Botticelli is in the parlour together with Semiramide and Aunt Simona. Everyone stops to look at me when I arrive. "Where have you gone, Antonia?" Aunt Simona asks.

"Forgive me, Aunt Simona. I saw Giuliano in the crowd and we end up staying together throughout the parade and the bonfire." I explained, suddenly conscious of Botticelli's presence.

She then looks over my shoulder then switches her gaze back towards me. "Where is he then?"

"Oh, he had to go. His family requires his presence." Aunt Simona nods and didn't say anything. "Hello, Botticelli," I said, acknowledging his presence.

"Greetings, angel Antonia." He kid that elicited a laugh from me.

"Messer Botticelli is painting a portrait of me, Antonia." Semiramide chimed in with a grin.

"Really?" I said, looking at her. "That's lovely to hear."

At supper, they continue to discuss the portrait Aunt Simona has commissioned for Semiramide. I wasn't aware that a single portrait can attract more male attention at this time as it is one of the reasons why Aunt Simona has asked it of him.

After the meal, I discreetly whisper something to Botticelli's ear. "Can you help me with something?"

"Of course." He whispers back.

"Before you leave, can you go up to my room?" Botticelli exclaimed exaggeratedly to tease me, making me nudge his arm. "Oh stop. I just need you to help me remove this torc around my neck."

He laughs for a few seconds before nodding. "Of course."

When we got up to my room, I immediately stand and push my hair to one side of my shoulder to give Botticelli some access to the torc. "Please do take it off. It weighs a lot and I'm not one to wear jewellery all the time." I pleaded.

Botticelli then tries to grab the torc from behind then sighs. "Forgive me, I don't think I'll be able to take it off from behind. Do you mind if I do it in front of you?"

It's been a while since Botticelli and I was alone in a room in close proximity and realizing how close we're going to be, my heart palpitates. "O-of course." I stutter in anticipation.

He walks around me and stops in front of me. I could not bring my eyes up to him, fearing that if I do, I'd awaken something deep down in my heart. Clearing my throat, I look upwards to give him more access and push all my red locks on my back. Bringing his hands to the torc, touching my neck is inevitable.

As soon as his fingers lightly and inevitably caresses my skin, it sends shockwaves in my spine. I can feel my cheeks burning up, especially when I felt his breath on my neck. I know I'm not supposed to but it's too late to back out now. I only need to clear my head and everything will be okay.

When he's successfully taken it off of my neck, I suddenly lost my balance and fall forwards towards him. Preparing myself for the fall, I closed my eyes. However, Botticelli encloses his arms around me as we fall. We suddenly bounce upon falling on my bed.

When I open my eyes, Botticelli and I are in an uncompromising position but neither of us moved a muscle. I felt hypnotized by his light brown orbs that suddenly looked green from the candlelight. In slow motion, both of us are leaning closer to one another.

As I close my eyes, the anticipated osculation did not happen. Instead, I was slowly set down to my side by Botticelli.

When I open my eyes, I wasn't able to hide my disappointment. "Forgive me." He said, breathless. He sat by the edge of my bed and massages his temple before getting up. "I better go. Good night, Antonia." In a quick motion-and without glancing my way- he's gone.