Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four (Skye's POV)

Sunday morning, as I woke to Ben jumped on the bed next to me, my first thought was that I would definitely be needing caffeine to get through the day. I had woken up almost every hour in a cold sweat, turning on the bedroom light to check that we were safe. When the panic didn't fade even then, I crept back downstairs to double-check that all of the locks were in place.

I was too tired to give into Ben's pleading for waffles for breakfast – I set him up with a bowl of cereal and made myself a coffee. Even with three sugars and extra cream, the strong bitter taste made me shudder; I had a few more sips, just to wake myself up a bit, then set it aside.

I jumped a mile high when a knock sounded at the door, bumping the half-full cup of coffee. I flinched again as it shattered against the floor and the hot liquid puddled around my feet. Gosh darn it – that really burns! I screamed to myself as I remembered scrubbing too hard in the shower last night, exposing new, tender skin.

Ben started to cry in response to my facial expression, so I moved around the breakfast bar and hugged him, "It's ok, honey – I'm just really clumsy... A bit like our friend Marshall from Paw Patrol..."

I settled him onto my hip and went to answer the door, ignoring the light brown liquid that I tracked across the floor. "Hey, Rob. I wasn't expecting you so early! Benny boy and I only just woke up and had breakfast".

I set Ben down, and he ran to hug his Dad's legs, "Daddy!"

Rob ruffled his son's hair gently, "Were you good for Skylar, little man?"

"We had pancakes for dinner! And Skye-ah gave me a Paw Patrol bandaid when I fell over! And my hair is like David Beck-ham-nen!" He exclaimed, excited to share his sleepover experience.

I blushed a bit, looking over my shoulder at the clock. I crossed one leg awkwardly behind the other – just realising that I was in booty shorts and a plain singlet without a bra. "I didn't even realise the time. I meant to have Ben home to you by 9 o'clock".

Rob smiled easily, "Don't worry about it, hun – I'm just so grateful you can look after him at all. Thank you so much. Oh, and you did a really great job with his hair – that saves me taking him to the hairdressers".

I ran upstairs to get Ben's clothes and shoes from yesterday, snagging a cardigan off my desk chair as I went to cover my chest. I paused, remembering the soccer ball and hurrying downstairs again.

I tried not to focus on my racing heart as I unlocked the back door and stepped out. I glanced around, completely confused to see neither my slipper or the soccer ball outside. I walked back into the kitchen; I've gone entirely insane...

I spotted a small note placed on the hallway counter – besides the lost items.

My Aunt's familiar neat handwriting said, "Skylar, please remember not to use both locks on the front door; luckily, I keep a key for the back door since our last incident. Also, if you insist on looking after Ben – do clean up after him. This ball and a shoe of yours were left outside for anyone to steal. Yours sincerely, Lauren".

I rolled my eyes, Who ends a personal note to their niece with 'Yours sincerely'? It makes it sound an email to one of her business partners or something... And who in their right mind would climb our fence to steal a fluffy grey slipper and a partially-deflated soccer ball?

I gave Rob Ben's things and waved goodbye to the little boy who insisted on being carried home because he "wasn't wearing his shoes, and also – was still in his jammies".

I closed the front door behind me, remembering to only lock the deadbolt, and moved back into the kitchen.

Once I finished cleaning up the coffee spill and broken glass, I decided that I should just go back to bed; exhaustion weighed down my steps as I walked upstairs. Please don't let Aunt Lauren come home early and catch me being "lazy"...