Chapter Three

Chapter Three (Rose's POV)

My mate!

My mate was a girl.

My mate was human.

I am so fucking dead. I groaned to myself as I took in this hyperventilating slip of a girl.

It wasn't like a textbook romance moment where I looked into her eyes and knew in my soul that she was my mate.

It was an accumulation of everything; how easy it had been to pick her heartbeat out of the cacophony of noises in this busy human street. How it had seemed to beat in time with my own racing heart. How quickly I had found her exact location amongst the hundreds of humans milling around the town centre. How I had instinctively stepped in when I saw a knife at her throat, no matter how much I tried to convince myself that it was because I needed to vent my anger.

The fact that once I made eye contact, it was so fucking difficult to look away. How gently I handled her as she broke down and cried. How angry I was at that asshole for traumatising her like that.

Fuck, fuck, fuck! Was the only word going through my mind as I led her to the bench before she could collapse.

Everything about this situation added up to one simple word: mate.

I was vaguely aware that I was whispering non-stop comforting nonsense to her; it didn't seem to be helping at all. She has to be my mate; there is no other explanation for my extreme shift in behaviour... fuck...

I could feel the presence of my wolf in the back of my mind. Not as a separate being to mine - it wasn't like I had disassociative identity disorder; there were not two different people residing in my head, for me to switch between my human self and my wolf.

It was difficult to explain the ethereal thing that was my wolf; something independent from my consciousness but also intertwined with it.

When I shifted into my wolf form, it was not as if an entirely different person took over - more that my rationality and other traits associated with humanity held less sway. I became more aware of my emotions, thinking less in words and more in sensations - images, sounds, textures.

I was a human with the instincts of a wolf, and a wolf with the higher-order thinking of a human, simultaneously.

Most days. Right now, I could feel a surge of my wild impulsiveness, trying to guide my actions; I wanted to lean into this fragile little human and reassure her with my touch. Werewolves often set aside words to use the more fundamental reassurance of touch.

An arm around your shoulders; I'm here with you. A hand clasping yours; you aren't alone. A hug, squeezing pressure; you are safe, no-one will hurt you with me here.

If someone told me an hour ago that I would be comforting a human, I would have laughed in their face and told them they were crazy... Maybe I am going crazy...

Concentrate, Rose; your mate is speaking to you, I reprimanded myself, struggling to focus.

"Thank you so much, I'm so sorry that I'm freaking out", her voice was unsteady, and still, fuck – she could be making a fortune in the phone sex business...

I could taste the salty bitterness of her tears in the back of my throat and pushed aside the desire just to hear her talk.

I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing right now, I muttered to myself.

"It's alright - I'm glad I was able to step in before the situation escalated", I tried to make my tone reassuring and wasn't sure if it came across that way.

Jesus, I'm such a softy. What happened to unshakeable Rose?

"I'm Skye, by the way. Thank you again. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't saved me", her voice was still quiet, but I could sense that her tears were starting to slow down.

Skye? That is a scarily fitting name; it matches her eyes, I got lost in thought again.

Her eyes...

The colour blue didn't seem meaningful enough to describe them; surely there was a better word than just dull old blue?

I remembered sitting on my little sister's bed, bored out of my mind as she applied make-up before school one day.

"Should I go with cerulean blue or turquoise eyeshadow, Rose? Wait - I forgot who I was talking to..."

Cerulean...

That fit Skye; her eyes were an enthralling mixture of light blue - so many different shades that it was impossible to look away. I was too caught up looking at my mate to even be disgusted in myself for thinking such sappy thoughts.

Shit, maybe I do have ADHD - focus, Rose.

"My name is Rose. I would say it's a pleasure to meet you but considering the circumstances...", I let the pause linger, not wanting to remind Skye of that asshole and have to start all over again in calming her down.

I laughed to cover my slip up, hoping she didn't notice.

I could feel her straighten her shoulders, and let my hand drop from around her back.

The beat of her heart was finally steady - I could hear the rhythm as effortlessly as I was aware of my own heartbeat.

"Well, I really should be going. I'm sorry for taking up your time, Rose. And thank you again." Skye said as she stood, but I couldn't really think past the panic that I would never see her again.

Think, dumbass, I shouted at myself.

"Wait! Um... I mean... You still look pretty shaken - so please let me walk you to your car." Right - now she won't realise what a desperate loser you are.

I wasn't usually so aware of my height, but in Skye's presence - when I had to bend down to meet her eyes - it was all I could think of.

I crossed my fingers behind my back for luck, waiting for her reply.

"That would be wonderful", she smiled at me, and I felt my insides twist.

You are so fucking soft...

Stop talking to yourself, fuckwit...

I smiled back at her and gestured for her to lead the way.

Skye paused, and I noticed that her cheeks were pink and blushing. "I don't actually have a car. Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't even have my license".

I tried not to let my surprise show. And I couldn't offer to drive her home because I'd stormed out of Father's office and walked into town to give myself time to cool down.

"No worries - I'll walk you home." I crossed my toes as well this time.

Her face lit up, but then she hesitated.

"I really don't want to inconvenience you. You obviously weren't in town just to ride in on your white horse and save me - I'm sure you have somewhere to be". I tried not to snort at the mental image of me - Rose Sinclair, werewolf and Alpha-to-be - riding in to save anyone.

"You're in luck, Skye; I was only in town to pass some time. And it wouldn't be very chivalrous of me to leave my damsel in distress to walk home alone". I tried my hardest to sound casual.

Her laughter sounded like bells or something - a quiet, musical ringing. "How can I refuse such a charming offer?" She took a step out into the crowded sidewalk and glanced quickly over her shoulder to see if I was following her.

Like a puppy dog, of course, I was.