Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight (Rose's POV)

I mockingly saluted Nate and opened the door.

I froze as I heard Annie's footsteps as she came down to the first floor, arms crossed and glaring.

"Now, Anastasia, you know you'll get wrinkles if you keep trying to impersonate Mum", I tried to joke as I stepped forward and kissed her forehead.

Annie wasn't actually my little sister; Mum and Father had adopted her after her brother had gone Feral and killed their mother, leaving their Dad without his mate. When Annie's Dad had killed himself in grief, there was no question of her staying in the care of her unstable, murderous brother. Talk about the Domino effect from fucking hell...

We had adopted Annie soon after, and she had been a part of our family ever since. The redhead was the same age as me, but because of her demeanour and my protective instincts, I had always considered her to be my little sister.

Her anger was anything but little as she opened her mouth to chastise me. I quickly intervened with puppy dog eyes and her shoulders slumped.

"I'm so happy for you, Rose", Annie said as she stood on her toes to hug me. I didn't try to escape her hug; Annie didn't try to suffocate me with her love as Mum did.

But are you going to accept her? Annie continued through our personal mind link.

I paused, and remembered why I loved my sister so much; she understood me the best, almost as well as Nate.

I sighed and made my way upstairs with Annie following closely behind.

I started moving around my bedroom, cleaning up my earlier mess - it felt good to be doing something with my hands.

I've never wanted a mate, I admitted as I made my bed. The idea of being trapped with someone you didn't choose for yourself; being forced to love them because of this mate bond that you can't fight against or reason with...

I trailed off and tugged viciously at a crease in my quilt.

Annie shoved some papers aside and sat on my desk, her legs swinging in front of her, I know - which is why I wasn't happy when you didn't come to me straight away.

I moved over and ruffled her wild red hair, Sorry, Anns - I had a fucking killer of a day yesterday.

She swatted away my hand and smiled gently, her whiskey coloured eyes anxious, I forgive you. But seriously - what are you going to do? Mum says this girl is human - that is such bad luck. If you do want to pursue the mate bond, it's going to be so hard to tell her about us.

I sighed, moving on to straightening all of the shit on my desk, giving myself a second to think before I responded.

I used to think 'what if my mate was a complete cunt and I'm forced to love them anyway because of some stupid Moon Goddess or hormones or something'? What if she was a serial killer, or if she liked pineapple on pizza? I hate the thought of losing my free will - of not being able to date someone just because I like their personality. I don't get any of that with Skye - I wasn't in her presence for more than five minutes before I felt the pull. I clenched my hands and wanted to smash the ceramic pen holder in front of me.

I thought of David and Natalie, married with three daughters – they weren't mates, and as far as I knew, neither of them had ever found their mates. They were as happy as any mated couple I knew; just without the almost-instant recognition and forceful tug of the mating bond. I don't have to pursue my mythical fated mate to lead a fulfilling life...

Language, Rose-Marie, Annie scolded in a voice so similar to Mum's that I laughed despite myself.

She sighed and dropped to the ground, reaching over to wrap her arm around my waist. You do have a choice, Rose; you can reject her and never see her again if that is what you want. Whether you want to get into the argument of religion and predestined mates, or evolutionary adaption and good gene selection - you can choose if you wish to mate with Skye or not.

I felt the tension bleed from my body like someone had opened a drain. I returned the hug and buried my head in my sister's bright curls, the scent of honeycomb and home relaxing me further.

Thanks, Annie; when I told everyone else, they just assumed that I would have Skye as my mate and that was that. You are the first one to really say that I have a choice in who I spend the rest of my life with.

That's what sisters are for; other than annoying the fuck out of their big sisters, Annie smirked and stepped away. Now - what is this Skye like? Show me, show me!

I laughed and opened my mind further, sharing the memory of Skye looking up at me with a tear-stained face and a watery smile, That's the worst part – the longer I was around her, the more I realised she is fucking stunning. Not just her eyes and voice, but also the way she holds herself and how she speaks so quietly... But what if I only think that because of the mating bond? What if it's completely messing with my mind? What if I have no choice but to fall in love with her? My thoughts quickly turned bitter again.

Annie smiled in recognition, Skye is in my AP History class - I've always thought she was pretty cute, if only she weren't ducking her head all the time. She seems really sweet - but we have never really talked because I got the impression that she was shy and didn't want to make friends. When Mr Harris calls on her in class, she always stutters a bit but makes really insightful comments.

I felt a little relief that my first impression of Skye wasn't warped; Mickey said she was kind as well. When I had let myself think about a partner to share my life with, I had kept things simple. My main criteria was that they weren't an asshole; it seems like Skye fits that requirement... But still...

If I shared my thoughts with Mum, she would probably praise the Moon Goddess for making our paths cross at all. Whatever the case, I was extremely grateful that I had been able to save Skye from that dickless fuck of a human in the alleyway. 

I tended to avoid exposure to mundane human drama, but I knew that I would never sit by idly while a human was threatened or abused - mate or not.

I felt disgruntled because if I had been a 'normal', even-tempered wolf I would have met Skye as soon as she started at Westwood. All that time wasted - not knowing my mate was within my reach... Not that I even want a mate... damn it all to hell...

Do you know why she moved here? I asked, curious in spite of my internal battle.

I think Helen heard from Jacob that her Aunt travels for work, Annie replied doubtfully.

I wonder why she lives with her Aunt?, I speculated – failing to push aside the need to get to know her better.

We sat in silence for a few minutes. As I opened my dark curtains wide and cracked the window to let in the fresh air, I came to a decision.

Anns, I think I do want to get to know her, I resolved, She is God-damn beautiful in this surprising and unusual way, and seemed like a good person from the hour I interacted with her. You were right; it is my choice to see where this goes. I think the mate bond is there for a reason - it wouldn't just make me notice a random person that wasn't compatible with my personality. I want to talk to her more and get to know her. And if I come to realise that she isn't 'the one' for me, I'll let the mating bond dissolve on its own.

Now that I had come to terms with my doubts, and realised that I was in control of my own life, I could feel the happiness returning, I actually cannot wait to go back to that hellish school - if it means I get to talk to Skye.

Annie grinned mischievously and winked, Then I guess I'll be catching a lift with you and Nate to school tomorrow.