57

Maisie was furious. Mostly at herself, but furious all the same. She simply could not believe that she had wasted a whole month that she could have spent with Ave, sulking in her bed. Once she had found out about her illness, she hadn't left her side, but it was almost too late. She barely had any time left to create memories with her and make up for lost time.

She found herself gripping Ave's hand as hard as she was able to when the doctor told her that the treatment wasn't working anymore.
She was the one that pulled back her hair when she was vomiting, and the one who dried her tears when she cried. However, she swore that she wouldn't have it any other way, because the way they held onto each other at night made everything worth it.

But every day that passed felt like a stone being thrown at them. Every time Ave got slightly worse felt like a new stab straight to the heart. But they loved each other, and they would until the end.

So they talked, they laughed and they lived for as long as they were allowed to, until that night.

Everyone was there: Ave's parents and siblings, her friends, even Sophie and Maisie's parents; and they were all listening to Avett's voice singing a tune she had wrote for Maisie and everyone she loved.

It felt comical, Maisie thought, that they were all watching her lover die and none of them could do anything about it. But it wasn't their duty to save her life, they only had to make her feel loved before she left.

Then, deep into the night, Avett Hale passed away with all her loved ones by her side, playing the guitar, just like she wanted. Maisie cried and screamed trying to wake her up, but it was useless. She was gone, the light of her life had left her and she felt hopeless.

She had taught her so many things, she had made her feel like the most precious human being on the planet and then she had left her.

And one of Ave's brothers held her and she cried and cried and cried until the morning light came.

Then, Maisie was no longer furious but terribly, madly, completely and utterly heartbroken.

-
sorry :(