54

Maisie smiled sheepishly when she saw Avett, and she let out a shaky breath when she turned around to grab the coffee mug she had prepared for her. She cursed when she almost dropped said mug because her hands were too shaky, and Ave noticed. 

She noticed the change of expression in Maisie's face when she pulled her in for a hug to thank her for the coffe. She noticed her body tense under her touch. She noticed the sigh that escaped her mouth and the little sniff that she tried to hide while hugging her back.

That was the moment Avett's heart broke, but that, that she didn't notice. 

They pulled apart, and when they looked at each other, they both faked their smiles. The sick lover grabbed the mug and sat down as she drank it, while Maisie continued making breakfast. She was just slicing some pieces of fruit for her -still- fiancee when the latter spoke up, breaking the silence and the peace.

"Is there something on your mind, Maise?"

If only had she known what was coming, she maybe would have waited to, at least, finish her coffe before asking. But it was too late to back down. Avett had noticed the change in Maisie's behaviour, and she thought that she had heard her puking before she had come downstairs.

However, Maisie had also noticed that Ave seemed off, upset even, and she thought that she knew that she was going to break the engagement, so she didn't waste time on giving an excuse, and told her lover everything that was on her mind.

"I'm so sorry, Ave. I've tried, I've really, really tried to convince myself that this is what I want  right now, but it's not, and I can't do anything about it."

Avett felt confused. Was she saying that she couldn't be with a sick girl? That she didn't want to marry her if she was ill? Everything Maise had said caught her offguard, but she needed to know more, she needed to understand.

"What do you mean?"

Her tiny soon-to-be wife started heavily crying and sat down in front of her, grabbing her hand and holding it tightly. Too tightly.

"I love you, Ave, and I always will, but I can't do this. I'm not ready for marriage, I'm too young and I'm not even convinced that you are the one! I mean, I need time to think, time to find out if you are the person I want to spend the rest of my life with or not, time to explore, even. I'm sorry, Ave, but I'm breaking up with you, at least for some time."

Avett wasn't expecting a break up when she woke up that morning, but she noticed, right then and there, that it might be for the best.

She just didn't want to be a burden.

-

hey!

all i want to say is that this is almost the end.

i mean, there is only a chapter left, and maybe an epilogue, but I'm almost certain that this story needs to be finished. I didn't want a very cliché ending, and I really didn't know how to finish it and be content with it. I honestly still don't know what I'm going to do with them, but I'll see, and so will you, very soon.

again, if there are any grammatical mistakes that bother you, I would be very thankful if you pointed them out, but try not to be mean, please!

all the love, 

ave.

xx