7 • Matchmaker Mom

"Is all this really necessary?" I asked my mother as she set the table with her cerulean china. She gave me a look before she pushed the dining chairs back into position.

She had cancelled her monthly book club meeting to invite my boss over to dinner, even at my insistence not to. I had brought her as my date to the company Christmas party and she hadn't stopped talking about him since. How charming he was, how devoted to the company. I knew better than to believe that persona.

For the first month, he called me thirteen, my cubicle number, and he still preferred to talk to people while looking at their foreheads or the wall behind them. As if we needed the constant reminder he loomed over everyone.

As the time neared, my mother rushed to pull the meatloaf out of the oven, almost burning her fingers in the process. I offered to help but she shooed me away, knowing full well the extent of my skills in the kitchen.

Seeing my Dad descend the stairs in a suit and tie, it dawned on me. I should have figured it out sooner.

"Mom, please don't," I groaned.

"You don't like this dish?" she asked, innocently. "I can find another one."

She tried to turn to the cabinets but I put my arm out along the counter to block her path.

"You can't matchmake me with my boss," I said, firm.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said when she was interrupted by the doorbell. "Now, go welcome our guest."

I dragged my feet to the door. I put my fingers around the handle, stopping to raise my grumpy posture and attempt to smile. I couldn't afford to make a bad impression.

"Nathan," I greeted, politely. "Welcome."

He handed me a bouquet of flowers, his eyes shifting to look anywhere but at me.

"Thank you," he said, "for your mom."

"Nathan!" Mom rushed toward us with her arms outstretched. I stared at her wide-eyed. I gestured to Dad but he shrugged at me helplessly.

"Bette," Nathan responded. "Thank you for inviting me. Nice to meet you, Kurt."

In the midst of the pleasantries, I attempted to escape.

"Well, I hope you all have a lovely dinner," I responded. "I was just on my way out."

"Kennedy," Mom reprimanded. "I'm sure you can stay for a while. For dinner at least."

She stared at me pointedly while she ushered Nathan into the dining area.

"Nathan, you never finished telling me about your Mom at the Christmas party. Is she still in town?" Mom asked when everyone was settled. I took the seat opposite Nathan, beside my Mom.

"She's in Barrie now with my stepfather," he said.

"She did always say she would love to move closer to cottage country. Your grandparents used to have a house in Muskoka, I went there once."

"You know Nathan's mom?" I interrupted.

"We're old friends," Mom said, waving her hand, but didn't explain.

I analyzed Nathan's features for the first time, wondering if we'd ever met as children. He didn't seem familiar.

"So," Dad said. "How are things at the company?"

"We've made some improvements in management," Nathan started, "we're evaluating efficiencies for next quarter."

Robotic, as always.

"Things are going well, then?" Dad asked.

"They can always be better," Nathan responded.

"How devoted," Mom commented.

"Just doing my job."

"Modest too," Mom said, approvingly.

I would have to take control of the situation on my own, I decided.

"Nathan, could we talk for a minute outside?" I asked.

He gave a swift nod in reponse and I led him through the back doors to the deck.

"I'm sorry if my mother's invitation made you uncomfortable," I blurted, as he closed the screen doors. "I understand if you want me to leave or don't want to stay."

"I don't mind," he said, unfazed. "My mother asked me to be here in her place. She's been hoping to see Bette again for years."

"Oh," I said. "Okay. Well, I'll still leave you all to catch up. I don't want to cause any awkwardness at work."

Nathan gave a small smile and took a long breath.

"I think I do enough of that on my own," he said, finally, his brown eyes meeting mine. "I'd like it if you stayed. I've also been wanting to apologize for how I treated you when we first met. I'm better with numbers than with people, but it's no excuse."

"No, it's okay," I said and the words started pouring out. "I think I always knew there was no malice. Maybe it was my own ego that got in the way. I wanted that promotion and I was bitter. I could have been more welcoming. I mean, it couldn't have been easy coming into a team, running things right off the bat."

"You're a great team lead," Nathan said. "I've seen the way you motivate people." 

"You're great with numbers," I replied, and an idea flashed in my mind like a lightbulb. "How about we form a sort of alliance? If you keep it up with the numbers, I can run point with the teams."

"Deal," he responded, "but only if you can help me with team building on my own. I'd still like to be better."

He stretched his hand out.

"Deal," I shook his hand. "Oh, and don't mind my mom at dinner. I'm sorry, but I think she's trying to set us up."

This time he grinned widely.

"I was sure my mom had the same idea."