Chapter 29

"Is this all?" Brett asked when he placed the last of my bags down. I nodded. "I'll bring the car around" Calum said to Brett and disappeared around the side of the house.                                                                                                                                            "I'm g-g-going to...miss you..." Haley sobbed. I smiled at her weakly.                                             "I'm not having any of this. I don't care how he reacts, but I will go and talk to him, again" Natalie complained and stormed across to the bridge to where Damian stood, hands holding the railings. "Here are some things for you to get ready for parenting. It’s not much, but if you have questions or anything, just give me a call" Delores said and handed me a bag. I returned her warm smile and gave her a hug.                                                                                                                                       

"I know that you don't particularly want to be here, but it would be better for you if you'd stay. After a few days, you'll come to realize that it’s not only Damian who needs you, but you who need him as well" Rhett said after he hugged me. I hugged Luke and Leo as well.                                                                                   "He's waiting for you. Go to him" Luke said and looked towards Damian.

My eyes never left him as I walked towards him. It was almost as if Nat's existence was unknown to him. She gave up and walked away from him.                           "Hey" I said softly. He didn't look at me.                                                                                          "It’s almost time for me to go".                                                                                                                "I'm not ready to say goodbye" He said with a quiver in his voice. A muscle tensed in his jaw. I reached up to kiss it. He quickly grabbed me and held me tight against him.                                                                                                                                                        We stood like that for what seemed like hours.                                                                                     "I'm sending Brett to stay there with you. You'll need more protection now than ever" He said into my hair. I didn't object because I knew I needed protection.                                                                                                                                                         "And Calum?" I asked into his huge chest.                                                                                      "He wanted to drive the two of you".                                                                                                            “Before you come back home, I'll make sure I sort out everything with my dad, with yours..."

I wanted to tell him that I had no intentions at all of coming back to this place. That I only told him that to get him off my back. That I wasn't even sure if I wanted him near me, three months down the line. That I was planning to somehow get my father home, and if I hurt Damian in the process, so be it.  I was angry, hurt and so very disappointed. But I refused to let him see it and decided that I should give him a few last moments with me.                                                                                                                                         "I'll miss you, Laurel".                                                                                                                             "Oh, you're not going to get rid of me that easily. You’ll anyway be seeing me in three months or so. But when you do get lonely, you know where to find me"                                                                                                                                                                 He frowned.                                                                                                                                             "In your dreams, since you always seem to be there" I said with a smile.                                     He forced a laugh.                                                                                                                               "Laurel, you ready to go?" Calum called from the vehicle.                                                                   I looked at Damian for a while then kissed him hard.                                                        "Goodbye Damian Haye”.                                                                                                       “Goodbye, Laurel Carter".

"So this is unnervingly quiet" I said to no one in particular from the back seat. Brett sighed. It was clear that Calum was upset and maybe a little disappointed as well. He hadn't said a word since he spoke to Brett about the car, and that was eons ago.                                                                                                                                            Then I had an idea.                                                                                                                              "You know Calum, I'm like a Rubik’s cube, the more you play, the harder I get". Calum and Brett burst out with laughter.                                                                                             "That's even better than his own material" Brett managed to say.                                              "Ah, Laurel. My life is honestly going to be so boring without you" Calum said after a while.                                                                                                                                                       "I think my life's going to be a lot worse than yours, I mean come on, I'll be the one stuck with Brett".                                                                                                                                                            "Hey, watch it" Brett warned, but ended up smiling.

Home sweet home.

I would’ve expected myself to feel slightly happy that I was finally home, but clearly my heart had other plans for me. A sort of dread loomed in on me. I shrugged off the feeling. It was equally hard to see Calum leave.                                                                                                                                           “Promise me you’ll always listen to Brett, no matter what”.                                                               I smiled. “I promise”                                                                                                                                                           “Seriously, Calum. I don’t know how I’ll be able to go about my days without hearing your sexy voice flirting with me” I said and held him tight.                                                           “I do have quite the sexy voice” He said and smiled sexily. I laughed and playfully punched his shoulder.                                                                                              “Can’t you stay as well?” I asked.                                                                                                                 “Even though you’ll always be entertained with me around, I’m not as strong as Brett is. That’s the only reason why Damian sent him here”.                                                          “He does want the best for you, Laurel”.                                                                                   My heart suddenly ached at the mention of his name.