Chapter 23

I lie in his bed, restless and completely and utterly bored.                                                       “Catch a nap for a while, ok?” Damian said sweetly before he left to the arena with everyone else.                                                                                                                                  I sighed. There was no point in telling him that I was completely ok. So I nodded. And when he made me promise, I slowly closed my eyes instead. You’d be surprised at just how difficult it is to live in a house full of werewolves. Or rather living in a house full of werewolves and sharing a bed with an Alpha. So after about thirty minutes of full on frustrated tossing and turning, I whipped the blanket off me and headed for the library. Something was bothering me.

The library was just as he left it the other night. My father’s journals were still on the main wooden table. I resisted the urge to read them again. I took in a deep breath. I had no idea where to look. It wasn’t as if the books were labelled or new. Most weren’t even in English. I searched the shelves with very little hope. Forget it, I give up. I decided to join the others in the arena.

"What the hell do you think you're doing here?" Damian spat so furiously, I didn't even realize he was talking to me. Everyone stopped their training.                               "Oh. Are you talking to me?" I asked innocently.                                                                             His favourite eyebrow hiked up.                                                                                                      "Yes I am" He stated boldly.                                                                                                            "Not with that attitude, you aren't" I said confidently and continued at the table, inspecting the knives.                                                                                                                He sighed heavily.                                                                                                                                                  "Laurel, just go up and take some rest" He said gently.                                                             "I'm not some porcelain doll that you can keep on a pedestal, Damian!" I said a bit angrier than I meant.                                                                                                                           "You can't possibly want to train with an injured arm, Laurel" He said with a snort.                                                                                                                                           "Well, teach me then. I'm much stronger with my right arm anyway. I'm sure I can do something as simple as knife throwing".                                                                                   I waited a while for his answer.                                                                                                   "Fine".                                                                                                                                              "Come on then" Rhett said rubbing his hands together eagerly.                                           "No. I'll train her" Damian said.                                                                                       "But Damian, I'm like...the expert in this" Rhett said exasperated.                                                         "Rhett, I've already spoken" Damian said tiresome.

"What? Are you going to tell me that you didn't like the way I spoke to Rhett as well?" He asked after I stared at him with my arms crossed.                                                           "No...But now that you mention it..."                                                                                "You've got a soft spot for the guys" He said, a quiver in his voice.                                     I raised my eyebrows.                                                                                                                             "I've got a soft spot for every person in this house" I pointed out.                                      "Really? Jason and Colette as well?" He asked with a slight smile, probably picturing the two of us trying to kill each other. 

                                                                                                                                                                 "They don't count as people" I said bluntly.                                                                               "Ouch" He said and looked in his sister's direction.                                                                         "That's because we're werewolves" Jason said gruffly.                                                                     This was the first time he actually spoke to me.                                                                               "Werewolves gone feral, yes. It’s no wonder why a face like hers can only love a face like yours" I said, tracing the edge of the knife with my index finger.                                          "I swear to God, I'm going to..."                                                                                                                            "Jason!" Damian growled, gaining the others attention. Jason walked towards the boxing bag.                                                                                                                                       

"You sure know how to piss a guy off" Damian said.                                                                                       "Me pissing people off, is like… you changing every full moon, you can’t control it". He swapped the knife in my hand for something smaller.                                                                                                     "What? Scared I'm going to cut you?" I smiled sweetly.                                                                                  "You wouldn't dare" He said frowning. "Whose bed do you then think of sleeping in tonight?"                                                                                                                                                                "Brett, Calum, Rhett..."                                                                                                                                      "Ok, ok" He said, surrendering.                                                                                                               "Besides we always start off small".                                                                                               "Yeah, so do I" I said and looked at a particular  area below his waist. He laughed and shook his head.