~Confession of a Mistake?~

Everly

<Present>
Kane: Annoying Nuisance (AN)
Everly: E

AN: Hey...
E: What do you want?
AN: Nothing, I just want to tell you something
E: Which is?
AN: I like you.

<The Day Before>

   "What do you mean by there's someone who has a crush on me in school?" Everly rolled her eyes at the so called 'revelation' her closest friend, Sadie, had made up, as they did some window shopping while passing by a few of their favorite clothing stores.

  "I'm telling you, someone does have a crush on you whether you believe it, or not," Sadie exasperated, crossing her arms in a huff.

  "Alright then, let's say I do believe you, then who is it?"

Everly wasn't one to like befriending others and even when she did, she hardly ever brought up a conversation with the opposite gender unless it was for a project work or something related to school. The only male that she spoke to ever so often, was that annoying guy that constantly got on her nerves. It definitely could not be him.

  "I..I can't tell you.."

  "And why not?"

  "Because, I made a promise!"

  "Some things are meant to be broken. Now spill it or forever hold your piece,"she threatened jokingly. Everly knew how hard it was for Sadie to keep a secret from her, especially one as big and juicy as this. But she also understood how important promises were to Sadie.

   Sensing Sadie's utter reluctance towards telling her who it was, Everly finally relented, "Never mind, forget about it, I won't push you any further about it. However...since you are so confident that that person likes me, how about helping me send a message to him?"

  "What message?" Sadie questioned as she eyed Everly suspiciously.

<Back to Present>

    Everly let out an audible gasp as she dropped her phone onto her bed, a million thoughts running through her. No no no, this couldn't be true, could it? This had to be some sort of a joke or a prank...it just had to be.

E: Are you joking with me right now?

AN: Why would I joke about something like this?

E: Then...you really like me?

AN: I'd be lying if I said I didn't

E: I mean, you didn't have to tell me about it, you could have just quietly kept it to yourself...couldn't you..

AN: You really are a cold women, Everly, but I would have done that, if you didn't say that the person who doesn't confess to you is a coward and you would forever ignore him..

  Upon reading that text message, Everly almost dropped her phone once again due to the sudden realization of what she had done.

   Why did she have to tell Sadie to say that? What the hell was she thinking at that moment of time? But obviously that wasn't the main point right then, she needed to find a way to reject him in the nicest way possible.

The idea of dating someone had never crossed Everly's mind so far in high school and all she wanted was to peacefully get through the next two years, graduate into her ideal university, and live her dream of being a psychologist. The very thought of having a relationship now, or ever, formed a lump in her throat, making her feel suffocated.

Ding! Another message from Kane popped up on her phone before she could think of how to reply him.

AN: Everly, I'm not pushing for anything, I know you are still in a bit of a shock, but...can we still remain as friends?

   Sitting still on her bed trying to process all the information that was just poured onto her, a few minutes flew by as quickly as sand trickling down a hourglass. She would have probably continued to remain in her thoughts if not for the notification sound that came from her laptop snapping her out of it.

E: Um...sure

   Came her short reply as she didn't know how else to reply Kane. Were they even considered as friends to begin with? They've never specified their relation with each other and he was always just someone who liked to annoy her endlessly. So how did everything turn out like this?

Tomorrow was going to be Monday and she will definitely have to face him. He was practically almost in all of her classes. Take long deep breaths Everly, everything is going to be just fine. You just need to act normal. Like you always do, that's simple. She tried convincing herself and her heart, which was beating as fast as a train pounding down its tracks.

Simple.

Or so she hoped.