Kwazii

Arizona. Hot, dry, countryside, a ways away. Right next to the ocean.

Kwazii wondered why they couldn't live there?

His mother's father, Calico Jack, visited often when Kwazii was little. He'd moor his boat there, and it was only a brisk walk to his daugther, son-in-law, and grandson's house.

And little Kwazii was always so glad to see him.

Calico drew his sword, careful of the land around him, and let out a cry. "Argh!"

"Awgh!" This voice was high-pitched, and lisped, rendering it a cute impersonation. Calico smiled warmly. "That was good, Kwazii." He knelt down to his grandson's height, sheathing his sword. Kwazii shrugged. "I don't sound like you."

"You're voice'll get stronger with time. Don't worry." Calico patted his grandson's shoulder, smiling at him. Kwazii giggled.

Cecelia glanced out the window, and smiled upon seeing her father and son playing together. "See that, Gabe? I knew they'd get along so well!" He Indian-native husband, Gabrielle shrugged, grumbling something. Cecelia put her paws on her hips. "I left the sea to marry you. If Kwazii wants to go to it, I don't see any problem."

"It's dangerous." Gabrielle stated firmly. "It's not a suitable profession for a young man of Kwazii's upbringing." Cecelia sighed. she and her husband had different ways of parenting their only child.

"Listen. I love you." She yanked the newspaper away from Gabrielle. "But our son is going to choose his own path one day, so we got to help him get ready for that. if this is the path he wants, even if it's only a phase, we have to support him." She rubbed her large, round belly, swollen and tight as a pumpkin. "Besides, soon you'll have another little one to suit your sights on."

"And she'll be just as crazy as her brother." Gabrielle muttered. Cecelia turned to him. "I know you love him...in your own way."

Kwazii hugged Calico's leg. "Do you really have to go?"

"I'm afraid so, Kwazii." Calico assured in that tender voice he used when he spoke to the little one. "But, I'll be back, won't I?" He turned to his daughter, smiling at her expectancy. She giggled, and rubbed her stomach again. "Say, 'Bye-bye Grandad!'" All she got in response was a kick.

Kwazii held his father's paw, waving as Calico disappeared into the distance, already missing him.

It felt...different this time...

Kwazii would go out everyday and check. There was no sign of his grandfather's return.

When the little one arrived, Kwazii stayed out there for hours, knowing Calico had to come back and see his new sister. Kate had orange fur, like her mother, and golden hair, like her father. Unlike Kwazii's green eyes, hers were as blue as the ocean. Calico just HAD to see that!

Kwazii continued waiting. He looked to the water whenever he saw it, and watched until it was out of sight. He just wanted the mast in sight, the squawk of Pete, just to know his grandfather was alright...once Kate learned to walk, she started joining him, and Kwazii told her all he knew about Calico, all Calico did....

"Kwazii?" The little voice interrupted his thoughts. he turned. Kate was sitting innocently in her car seat next to him. The family's red four-runner was cruising down the bridge. Kwazii had his eyes to the water, as always, even thought it was merely a lake, and nothing more.

"Yeah?" Kate pointed innocently with her tiny, six-year old paw. "Daddy says you hafta get your eyes off the water." Kwazii muttered something, sighing.

"Hey." Gabrielle turned in his seat. "It isn't just about you, y'know."

"Gabe!" Cecelia gasped, facing him. "Don't talk like that to him!"

They started to argue. Kwazii looked at Kate. She seemed upset.

"Wanna play a game?" Kwazii held out his paws, gesturing for her to play a clapping game they had made up a few months ago. "Lemonade, crunchy ice, hit it once, hit it twice, please, please, American cheese..." They were interrupted by a scream. The car lurched like crazy.

All Kwazii saw was white. His ears rang. Through flashes, he felt light, his body out of control, as he hurtled down towards the lake. He remembered shoving his sister's car seat out at the last second, hoping to save her...

He remembered seeing that car sear, plummeting down into the lake, screaming. The scream was crazy familiar....

The next thing Kwazii knew, he was in the orphanage. No sister. No home.

"It's not gonna happen." Kwazii ignored the kid next to him, and stood up straighter. This couple would have to adopt him. He couldn't stay here forever.

A pair of elephants walked in, and smiled at the children arranged before them. Kwazii gave her the cutest eyes he could muster, his family's old eye-patch covering one of them.

"Oh," The wife smiled at him. "Are you a pirate?"

"Uh huh!" Kwazii smiled proudly. it was his day, he knew it!

"Uhm..." one of the caregivers pulled the woman aside. "he really does think he's a pirate. I think it's his way of coping." Kwazii's stomach sank as they continued talking.

In the end, the boy who had told him he'd never be adopted had been taken away.

In rage, he turned on the caretaker. "Why do you do that?! Do you want me to not get adopted?!" He pulled on his ears inn frustration. The caretaker watched him, unimpressed. "I'm gonna be a teenager soon! You know how hard it is for a teenager to get adopted?!" When he got no response, he rocketed up to his room. And cried.

He stayed there for another three years, expecting an apology.

Finally, he slipped out the window.

There was no search for him. No one cared.

No one would.

He didn't need anyone.

And he wasn't letting who he was get in the way.