Chapter 5

With great haste, Aastha snatched her phone from the table and dialed Kabir's number. Her hands rumbled and throat trembled. It was as if she had become dumb for a second. As soon as Kabir answered his phone, he couldn’t believe that Mr Singh was no more. “Yea, yea! I’m coming there. Just hang in there for 5minutes,” said Kabir. He jumped off his bed, wore a random T-shirt and slippers, and grabbed his car key. He drove his car as if he was in racing competition and just in a dash, he reached Mr Singh’s resident. Aastha was still clinging onto her father and crying for him to come back. “Did you informed the police about this? Let me call Mrs Singh,” said Kabir. Aastha did not reacted on anything whatever Kabir said. She was in a mourning state and anybody would behave like that. Kabir called the police and informed Mrs Singh immediately. On the other side, the family couldn’t believe whatever Kabir said. “Maybe he’s unconscious and you’re getting confused. Take him to the hospital, Kabir!,” exclaimed Parjeet. “No, I’ve checked twice. Mr Singh isn’t replying. His hands, face, feet and whole body is turning cold now. He’s no more! But the police are on it’s way and just for your satisfaction, I’ll ask them to check again. Please come fast. Your sister is sobbing so much,” said Kabir.
At sharp 2, the police came in and was devastated to see the incident. They pronounced Mr Singh as dead and began wrapping him for post-mortem. “Miss Singh, let him go, please. We can’t keep the dead body in house like this for any longer. I understand your pain but please let us do our job,” pleaded the Officer. Kabir came in between and had to forcefully separate Aastha from her father, as she wailed and pounded her feet so hard on the floor. "Let him go, Aasthu. You can't break the rules. Let them do their job, please," insisted Kabir. "How can they take him like this, Kabir. He will feel cold, nah! Tell them to check again ," said Aastha. "Listen to me! He's gone now and I'm really sorry about that. But he's in a better place now, trust me. Don't be stubborn like a kid now," said Kabir. "Can you just shut up, Kabir. How can you say my father is dead? ," she screamed. Kabir stood up in silence and pushed Aastha away from him. He felt as if everyone is blaming him for saying that Mr Singh is no more now. "Fine than. Go ahead and stop the police. I'm the stupid one who came running for you because I can't see you crying. I just can't.... Go! ," replied Kabir in furry and turned around to depart. Suddenly two hands wrapped him around from back, so tight, not letting Kabir go further. "I don't want to talk to you. Leave me," said Kabir. Aastha remained quiet but still holding onto Kabir from back. Kabir turned around and gathered Aastha's face between his strong hands. She was still crying and cheeks turning red. Her eyes were full of innocence and reflected so much of pain that made Kabir cry himself and hugged her for long.

So many people turned up for Mr Singh's funeral. Everyone wore white and black clothes. Mrs Singh went in a shock and couldn't believe that her husband left her so soon. She sat in a corner and cried time to time. The coffin was brought in for its final rituals. Aastha sat in a corner and watched her father sleeping so peacefully, as if he'll up any moment. Kabir came forward and gave a beautiful obituary about Mr Singh. "You don't wanna see uncle for a last time? ," asked Kabir to Aastha. "Sshhh! He's sleeping. I don't wanna disturb him. He looks so nice. No body will believe that he had cancer," said Aastha. Despite Aastha saying no, Kabir dragged her to the front and made her sit just next to the coffin. Aastha touched her father's face and then kissed his hands. She kept crying as the coffin was taken away for cremation. "Calm down, please. Your eyes are really swollen," said Kabir. Aastha leaned onto his shoulders and rested her head on him. It had been days now but Aastha had not consumed any single bit of food. All she remembered was her father and their last conversation. All the hindu rituals were followed and done as per the guidance of priest. On the 14th day, all the family and relatives returned to their homes and everyone began sweeping and cleaning the house. Mrs Singh sat on the sofa with Ankita and Parjeet while Aastha sat at the table, opposite Kabir. A young man, standing with files, knocked at the door. Parjeet gestured him to come inside and offered him his seat. "I'm Jash Chandra, lawyer of Late Mr Prabhat Singh. My deepest condolences and sympathy to you all. Mr Singh was a great man and let us all pray that he rests in peace. My apologies for coming in, at this time, when you're all are in a mourning state. But it was Mr Singh's command, so as his legal lawyer, I have to follow the rules and regulations. Mr Singh had made his last and final will, six months ago. Last and final will as in, a will which can not be changed or altered by any other person or lawyer," said Mr Chandra. "What? He made his will? Are you sure?," asked Mrs Singh. "Yes, madam. Here are his signatures on the legal documents as prove. You can check our office CCTV footage if you doubt on me. I'm so surprised that Mr Singh did not inform you about his will," said the lawyer. "Okay, go ahead," said Mrs Singh. The lawyer opened his files and placed it side by side. He began reading and explaining every bit of it. He said, " Mr Singh owned a house in Lautoka which had some issues years ago. However, the issue had been resolved and the full ownership was given to Mr Singh. So in simple words, Mr Singh owned a house of his own in lautoka and he has stated in his will that after his death, the property shall be given to Aastha Prisha Singh with all the furniture the house contains, and the ownership also. The house is a double-story building, comprised of 4 flats. Any deals about that house shall be done with Aastha, and no other person," said the lawyer. "What? How can Pa do like this! ," said Ankita. Aastha looked at Kabir with confused eyes. Kabir gestured her to calm down and the lawyer continued, "Mr Singh had a combined savings & spendings account which consist of $20,000. He had stated that after his death, all his savings & spendings money shall be given to his Elder daughter and only Son, in equal shares. So, $10,000 belongs to Mrs Ankita Raj and another $10,000 belongs to Mr Parjeet Singh," said the Lawyer. Anikta offered a cup of tea to the lawyer. "Is there anything else, Mr Chandra?," asked Mrs Singh. "Yes, there's alot to it madam. I still can't believe that you were unaware about this will and what all your husband owned. Moving on, Mr Singh had his FNPF and the current balance is, $75,000. Mr Singh had used his FNPF for his education also so the amount is less. But none the less, his FNPF money belongs to Mrs Singh. But, again it's a share amongst two people. Mr Singh had stated that $20,000 shall be given to his wife, Mrs Ashni Singh and $55,000 belongs to Miss Aastha Singh."
"Oh my God! Did you hear that, Ma! Aastha is getting everything and what about us? You must be happy Aastha?," asked Ankita. "Mrs Ankita, please calm down and let me finish this. Furthermore, this current flat which Mr Singh occupied with his family belongs to his wife now and after the death of his wife, full ownership goes to his Son, Parjeet. Mr Singh had two plans outlined for his future use but due to his illness, he was unable to do so. That responsibility is now given to Aastha and it was Mr Singh's request of she could complete it on his behalf," said the lawyer. "What type of plans?," asked Mrs Singh. "Establishment of an animal shelter and a library. I don't know why he had such plans but whatever he has stated, that is what I'm telling you all. Last but not the least, the remaining things which Mr Singh owned like his personal things, books, clothing and etc, shall be given to anyone. Either to his children or wife," said the lawyer.
"This is so unfair! We were his biological kids but we got nothing and Aastha was his illegitimate daughter and look she got almost everything," said Ankita. "Mrs Singh, here is a statement of the will Mr Singh had made with his signature. Please read it once again so that you clear from your side ," said the lawyer. Mrs Singh moved forward and read the statement.

"I, Mr Prabhat Singh,  aged 60 years (occupation Retired School Principal) hereby write my Last and Final Will. Any wills written previously are hereby revoked under the law of Fiji. I'm writing this will freely and under no duress. I am of sound mental and physical health and in a position to comprehend what I write in this will.
After my death, my assets are to be given to:
1. House at Lautoka, shall be given to my youngest daughter, Aastha Prisha Singh, aged 23, occupation Analyst at MOE, Fiji. 
2. Equal share of my savings account shall be given to my only Son, Mr Parjeet  Singh, student at USP and my elder daughter, Mrs Ankita Raj, occupation of Marine  biologist at Sigatoka, of equal shares thus $10,000 to each.
3. Current flat ownership shall be given to my Legal wife, Mrs Ashni Singh till her death. Upon her death, the flat shall automatically be taken by my only son, Mr Prajeet Singh. Mrs Ashni will not be able to sell the flat to any person or firm and if need be, signature of my son shall be taken into consideration. Upon my wife's second marriage, the flat shall no longer be hers and automatically transferred to my son's name, Mr Parjeet Singh.
4. FNPF nominees shall be given its shares to my legal wife, Mrs Ashni Singh   and youngest daughter, Aastha Singh, 20% and 80% respectively. No fraudal act shall be done in the distribution of my FNFP funds.
5. My future two plans shall be given to my youngest daughter, Aastha Singh and any issues regarding the plans shall be dealt with her.

All the items and money, as mentioned above, shall be divided as per, as it is stated by me. No act of fraud, corruption,  force, abuse or mental torture and etc shall be done on any of my children, particularly Miss Aastha  Singh  and my legal wife, Mrs Singh.

Signature of testator
Full name: Prabhat Singh
.......PSingh.....