chapter 4

The annual pooja went well with lots of people including family and friends. Pure Indian dishes were made, starting from sweet till savoury. Unfortunately, Ankita could not attend the pooja ceremony due to her work issues and a busy schedule. After the feast, all the ladies occupied the living room while the men occupied the veranda. Everyone laughed and had so many stories to share. Kabir and his family were invited also. When Aastha was setting up the pots and pans, Kabir sneaked into the kitchen. "You look dead-drop gorgeous in this Sari, Aasthu!," complimented Kabir. Aastha blushed to herself but did not turn around. She kept doing her work. "The food was nice. What did you made?," Kabir asked, hoping for a reply. "I made everything. Ma made the prasad only," replied Aastha. Just than Mr Prabhat called out to Aastha for a cup of tea. "I have to go now. Pa is calling me," she said and left.
At night, when everyone were sleeping, a sound reached to Aastha's ears causing her to wake. It sounded as if someone was vomiting. She climbed out of bed and followed the sound. Someone was inside the bathroom. She called out names but there was no reply. Suddenly the door opened and it was Mr Singh who had been vomiting vigorously. Aastha ran to her father and leaped on him. "Pa! You alright? What happened Pa? Paaaa?!!!," she cried. She rubbed his back with force. After few minutes, Mr Singh washed his face and hands, and said, "I ate too much Puri and now I have acidity. Why do you get scared so often, dear?"
"I can't see you in pain and why didn't you called me for help," said Aastha. "Its just acidity. Don't worry, go and rest now. You have work tomorrow," insisted her father.

"Hello, Ma. How are you? How's everyone at home?," asked Ankita on phone. "I'm good, dear, and so are others. How's Yash and our grandson Sairav?," asked Mrs Singh. "All good, Ma. Sairav is getting notorious day by day. He's turning 4 years this month December so Yash and I thought to celebrate his birthday with family and friends. So I'd be glad if you all could come over next Saturday," said Ankita. "Oh that's so lovely. We all will come. Thanks for your invitation. Time went so fast. It feels as if you got married just yesterday and look you are a mother now. Only if Aastha had same mentality like you. Anyway, I'll hung up now. See you soon, darling," said Mrs Singh. On the day of their grand son's birthday, Mr Singh made an excuse to his wife that he has severe joint pain and is unable to walk or stand properly so he can't attend the party. For a moment, Mrs Singh thought to cancel their plans but Mr Singh insisted not to do so. He consoled his wife and Parjeet to attend the party and make Sairav happy as it was his 4th birthday. He took out an envelope, slipped in $50 and sealed it with glue. With a shiny pen he wrote, "From Mr Prabhat and family: to dearest Sairav" ,and gave it to his wife. He reminded her to give it to Ankita or Sairav as a birthday gift. "Aastha isn't going? ," asked Mr Singh. "She's really busy with work, Pa," replied Parjeet. Mr Singh nodded his head and asked them to leave for party so that they reach Sigatoka on time via the Express.
"Only if I had told everyone about my sickness," Mr Singh said to himself. He felt uncomfortable from time to time. Nose bleeding occurred everyday but he would hide it from everyone. He went to the kitchen and poured a glass of water for himself. Aastha reached home at 8 and found her father watching TV. She locked all the doors and windows, and went into the kitchen to prepare dinner. "I've ordered pizza. Don't cook anything. Come let's eat," said Mr Singh. "Really! But I can cook. Why did you waste your money in ordering food, Pa. If Ma gets to know, she'll be angry," said Aastha. "No, she won't. Now come," insisted the father. Both father and daughter had a great time and cracked so many jokes. At 10 o'clock , Mr Prabhat turned off the TV and asked his daughter to sit next to him. He grabbed his hand into his daughter's hand and spoke gently, "Whatever I'm going to tell you now, listen to it carefully. This conversation should remain between us two. I need to tell you something, dear." "Yes, Pa. Go ahead and I will never let anyone know about our conversation ever. I promise you, Pa," Aastha assured. Mr Singh took a deep breath and said, " when I was a vice-principal in year 1995, I had a female staff in school who became my best friend. Within an year, I began to develop feelings for her. She was an English teacher for upper levels. No doubt that she wasn't pretty. She was beautiful inside-out! Her name was Prisha. I loved your mother but the type of love I had for Prisha, was like chemistry!. Every day I fell for her. She was single and had no problem with me being married. But I never let any other teacher point a finger on me. Our relationship was confidential. I used to make excuses to your mother that I have an important meeting in Nadi for teacher's association and I have to attend it. So I'd leave your mother and Anikta to your aunt's place and would spend nights with Prisha in Nadi. Our relationship became so close and limitless that we became intimate to each other often. This lasted for 3years until Prisha got pregnant. She called me but I did not answered her call. Your mother had become suspicious on me but I kept lying to her. Only if I had never done that. When Prisha saw that I did not replied to her calls and SMS, she came home looking for me and that's where your mum knew everything. She was completely broken and left the house with Anikta. Prisha was hurt also and tried aborting the baby but she was 6 months pregnant already and abortion was risky for her. On the 7th month, she took some pills and tried to kill herself but fortunately I reached her home on time and rushed her to hospital. The gynecologist gave me two options: save the mother or the child. I told the gynecologist to save both but that was out of bound. The doctors managed to save the baby but Prisha remained in critical condition. She kept bleeding which gynecologist tried the best to stop it. I walked into the room and found a cute little girl sleeping beside Prisha, with tiny little fingers holding my thumb and smiling so elegantly. I began to cry as soon as I saw Prisha opening her eyes. She hugged me tight and told me to take care of her baby. To give all the love the baby deserves and when time is proper, reveal the real identity of her mother. She named the baby "Aastha " and with those words, she passed away."
Aastha stared at her father and signaled him to continue. Mr Singh took another deep breath and continued, "you are Prisha's and my child. I returned to your stepmother, with you in my arms but she did not agreed coming home. Your aunty consoled your Ma and to God's grace, Ashni gave me a second chance. But unfortunately, she never nurtured you like her own child. I nurtured you and tried my best to give you everything but I failed. When Parjeet was born, he got attached to you naturally rather than Ankita. But Ashni still loves you but a little less. Never take her words seriously, my dear. I hope you understand me. To the most important thing now, I've made my last and final will. After my death, the lawyer will explain everything to you. It's been six months now since the doctor had told me that I have blood cancer. I think its last stage. It's all karma. I did bad deeds in my young age so God gave me cancer. My inner feelings are telling me that I have less time left now. But whatever time is left, I'd invest it in you. Don't repeat the same mistake which I did. Keep this in mind, Aastha. Wherever I will be, I'll be watching you. Whether nobody is proud of you or not, your Pa will always be proud of you. Marry when you are ready, not when you're 25. Start a family when you're ready, not in haste. Spend whatever is left upon saving. Keep moving with life because time and tide waits for no man. From now, you have a battle to fight. I won't be here to tell you but I know that you are my child and nothing can stop you. Take care of everyone,okay?"
Aastha hugged his father immediately and sobbed for long. She felt as if her world is being snatched away from her. Mr Singh remained strong and kissed his daughter's forehead. "Don't go, Pa. How will I live without you?," she wailed. "Its inevitable and I have to go. But I'll always be in your heart. I won't like it if you'd cry 24/7. Accomplish your goals and prove everyone wrong. Only then my soul will rest in peace. You are my strong girl," said Mr Singh. Aastha kept clinging onto her father's shoulders with hands wrapped around his neck and tears running down the cheeks. Mr Singh continued tapping his hand and continued talking. The clock striked 1 and it was next morning. Both of them never realised that their conversation would last so long. "The rest of the things will be discussed by my lawyer," said Mr Singh. "Don't go, Pa. How can you leave me? I love you so much!," cried the daughter. "I love you too. I love you more than anyone else in this world and that is why I'm telling you everything," said Mr Singh. He wanted to continue more but he could not stop his tears and bust crying.  He opened his eyes, looked at his beloved daughter for the last time and smiled. With a last breath, he passed away with his hand on Aastha.