Chapter 2

During lunchtime when everyone were having their lunch, Aastha stayed in her cabin and kept thinking about her life. So many questions jumped in her mind and so many thoughts absorbed her deeper into more thoughts like a sponge absorbing water. "Ma is never wrong but I'm not ready for marriage yet," she said to herself. She went back to her work and tried diverting her mind elsewhere. At sharp 6, Aastha knocked off from work. She stood at the bus stop, waiting for the bus to arrive. Just than, a hand tapped on her shoulder from behind. Aastha crossed her forehead in dismay and turned around to see who it was.

A tall young guy stood behind her with a radiant smile on his face. "Kabir, it's you!," exclaimed Aastha. "Obviously! It's me. What did you thought? Let me guess, you thought it's a thief? Lol," laughed Kabir. Aastha turned around and ignored him. "Okay sorry. If you don't mind, shall I drop you home in my car? Its Friday and how will you manage in bus amongst this huge crowd? Come nah, please," Kabir insisted. Aastha walked behind Kabir to his car. He opened the door of the front seat and gestured Aastha to take her seat. But she stepped backwards and said, "I'll occupy the back seat." Kabir nodded with a smile and replied, "Yea, feel easy. How about a cup of coffee while on the way to abode? If you say so..."
"Umm...okayyy," said Aastha.

Kabir drove his car to a coffee shop on the way. He ordered two cappuccinos with garlic bread while Aastha waited for him in the car. It was getting dark and windy also. The month of winter had arrived which Aastha loved the most. "Here you go. Your favorite, garlic bread, aye?," teased Kabir. Aastha looked at him in his eyes for a second and began blushing. She thanked him for the afternoon treat and said, "Don't tell Ma that you dropped me home and also about this treat, please. Otherwise...."
Just then Kabir interrupted her, "Otherwise what? She'll be angry?" "No, but yes also! I mean...actually....look Kabir, you are my best friend but i never imagined you as my life partner, and that is what Ma wants. I'm not ready for marriage....I hope you understand. I'm also sorry for that day when I rejected your parents marriage alliance for us. I dont know to explain it!," said Aastha. "Hey, take a breath. I'm not angry at you for anything but I still fall for you. But I understand you and respect your decisions. Don't be sorry, Aastha. I won't let anyone know about today. Trust me and smile now," laughed Kabir.
By seven, Aastha reached home and saw her father, Mr Prabhat Singh, waiting for his daughter in eager to play chess. He smiled as soon as he saw her and stood from his chair. Mr Prabhat is a retired School Principal and worked four days in a week in International School as a Senior consultant and counselor. "Look I've set everything today. Now you can't say that Pa (father) is lazy," teased Mr Singh. Aastha smiled and sat at the table, and began the battle. "How was work today?," Mr Singh questioned. "It was good, Pa. As usual, busy in analyzing and all," replied Aastha. "Is everything alright? Look I'm your Pa, don't lie," said her Father. Aastha turned around and looked everywhere than asked, "Where's Ma?"
"Hahaha, your Ma has gone to Sunita's place in neighborhood. Her husband passed away in his sleep this morning. Now tell me what's the matter, dear? Look at me," comforted her father. Aastha narrated the whole story to her father in detail and sobbed at the same time. She told him how worse she felt. Mr Singh listened to his daughter patiently and gasped. He took off his glasses and folded his hands. " You love and respect your Ma and I love you for that. Your Ma is right that marriage is important because it is a life-long relationship comprised of love, compassion, sacrifice and limit less moments. It is something which keeps two souls connected to each other. It is good to be with someone, belong to someone and live with someone at this age. It's a whole lot of different experience, dear. Ankita got married at 23 and she's a mother to a son now. But that was two years ago. Times are changing and we have to. Your Ma is still lost there, in the olden times. But I think it's not a perfect age for you to get married now. I'll talk to your mother about this. Do you have feelings for Kabir?," said Mr Singh.
Aastha gestured a no and looked at her father with eyes full of hope and support. "You're not just a consultant and counselor Pa, you're a Philosopher! ," blinked Aastha.
"Your Ma has made Rogan Josh today for dinner. It's your favourite. Come let's have dinner," said Mr Singh to change the topic of their conversation.

Aastha was cleaning the dishes and Parjeet was ironing his clothes when their mother returned home from the mourning ceremony. "So sad to hear about Uncle Viren, Ma. He was a great man, aye! Gone too soon. Pa told me about his death," said Parjeet in sympathy. Mrs Singh nodded and sat on the sofa, and asked Aastha for a glass of water. "Sunita was asking about Aastha. She was asking when will she'll get married. My head blowed in shame when I told her that my own daughter doesn't want to get married," said Mrs Singh. " "Not again Ma, please," said Parjeet.
Mrs Singh scolded her son so badly that he left his clothes and locked himself in his room. "Ashni (first name of Mrs Singh), gone are those days when young children get married at 19, 20, 21 and so forth. Nowadays marrying at even 30 is not a big deal. Let her become something in life, than think about marriage. I was just 21 and you were just 19, when our elders got us married. I did not had a house of my own, car, bank balance and proper education. I wish I had everything before marriage so that my children had better life than this. But God had some other plans. Ankita and Parjeet were excellent in studies and shined  amongst the stars but Aastha was an average student. She was a slow learner but consistent also. Despite being so sick and hospitalized, she managed to take 3rd position in her final exam and attain a degree in Mathematics. So what if she couldn't shine like your other kids? That is why you loved her less and now giving so much tension on her shoulders about these rubbish things. My daughter is not getting married anytime soon. No way," said Mr Singh.