⤷ fourteen

With two more additions to their group, Dick had taken the decision to keep them safe by laying low for a while

With two more additions to their group, Dick had taken the decision to keep them safe by laying low for a while. As if that had worked out the last time. Of course, he would follow his previous right choices, like staying away from the road and rest before resuming their escape route. This time, as he had made clear when they had stopped by the gas station, he intended to keep any other person away, preventing another incident like Dawn's.

Robin had experienced the ironical safety of these torn down places, and how they sheltered from danger, at least the one you're trying to avoid. "Nice. Another murderous looking motel," her gaze traveled up the trail of mold that crawled to the second floor and went around the windows. "Hey, maybe I should get some pictures printed out for when they're talking about our case in the news."

The two teenagers laughed at her joke, comprehending her humorous coping mechanism. Gar looked past the flaws of the place, which was extremely difficult, in every glance, there was something more disgusting than the last. "I don't care about the place as long as I have a bed," he explained with honesty. Dick gave him a side-smile, contemplating their surroundings. "What I can't believe is that you traded the Porsche for this trashy minivan."

They turned to look at the old, dark-green vehicle, comparing it with the expensive sight of the previous one. "At least we can all fit in, I was getting tired of the complaining," he tried to sound positive, scowling at his new car. After a second of thought, he nudged Robin, getting her attention. His hands moved around to explain his point as he said: "look at this, one road in, same road out. Only one point of access we have to watch. And also, it's quiet. If trouble comes our way, we should hear it first."

Artemisia folded her arms, looking at the empty area they had ended upon. Not a single car in the road, and only a few parked in the lot. Their situation called for some teasing to brighten up, "trouble won't be the only thing we'll be hearing tonight when we try to sleep."

"Who said anything about sleeping?" Dick commented, his tone expressing a possible double meaning.

Kory silently gagged, making the teenagers chuckle, too. It wasn't until Dick saw her disgusted expression that he realized what he had said, and how. But, he was given little time to take it back, Artemisia's reddening skin fueled the will of continuing, "get a room, you two."

"Oh, please don't," Rachel whined, eyes wide as two plates, attempting to erase the picture she had formed in her mind. Her light eyes roamed over the spotlighted pair, "like you said, Dick, too quiet."

Gar and Kory joined her in a fit of laughter, somehow finding something amusing in their spot. For Robin, there was nothing to laugh about, they were stuck in this horrid place, all by themselves, their chances of lung illness high from the mold that became part of the motel. But then again, Artemisia saw this as a chance to stretch their backs, settle for a few moments, allow themselves to know each other better. After all, a road trip with people you barely know is but a boring experience.