⤿ twenty-seven

A distant gleam swirled around Artemisia's fingers as she worked up and down Jason's arm

A distant gleam swirled around Artemisia's fingers as she worked up and down Jason's arm. The once injured skin, tinted with reds and blues, now returned to its true pale colors. She scowled at the blueish sheen that surged from the tepid springs, wishing it was stronger. Sure, her magic worked wonders, yet she knew it could do miracles. But the practice was not making her perfect. A sigh parted her lips.

"You have to stop asking him to give you his all. I can't be always there to heal you," she spoke above a whisper. This was not the first time she had to sit down with him and fix his stubborn wounds. Hell, he had pushed her to discover such powers under pressure. And now, the boy who had stressed her, was scorning her. "I get you want more action, but nothing's happening anywhere right now. I miss going out, too, y'know."

Jason's shoulders slumped for a second, only to tense as her hands acted over a deep cut. It felt like she squeezed a conversation out of him. "It's not like Dick would let me go anyway." He seethed out, moving away from her magic. She followed his movements, bound by the water.

"You don't know that," Artemisia smiled. Dick could change his mind if one persuaded him enough. "If you reason with him─"

The boy chuckled at her. He attempted to push away once more, but Artemisia stayed fixed to him. She dropped to her knees, glaring up at the teen as a warning. Jason shrugged. "Reason with him? Not everyone can fuck favors out of him."

Artemisia's soft nature fled her face. Her eyes became menacing. They packed with simmering fury. Why was he always like this? Careless. And yet, here she was all the time, fixing his mistakes. The water started heating even further in their connection. "Okay, I'm out. Good luck." A splash filled the room as she drew away. Water soaking her pants, and his socks.

"Ouch!" Jason recoiled from the heated water, grasping his injured arm. He buzzed at that contact, too. It had not been fully restored. He groaned with anger. It was not normal for her to fight back. He struggled to recognize whether he hated it or liked it. "I'm─"

Artemisia stayed on her steps, shifting to him with eagerness. "Sorry?" She completed for him. Jason frowned up at her. She only grinned back, giving a tender look. "Don't be shy, say it and I'll heal you."

"Fuck─" the boy had started, debating his next words. There weren't many options. Be treated or stay like that. Sure, Artemisia knew he had normalized getting beaten after years of doing so, but he also had grown used to her magical hands that protected his looks. It must've been a tough battle inside his head.

Rachel's voice suspended their thoughts. "Guys, check this out."

Artemisia hurried to the living room. Rachel, Garfield, and Dianna were seated on the couch, wearing excited faces. Dick inclined on the wall, following the news report. The pair found their spots ( Jason by the carpeted ground, Artemisia not too far from Dick ). They were soon captivated by the strange live footage. It felt good to observe some action after all this time.