Chapter Twenty- Party In The Woods

Comenzar desde el principio

"I don't wanna chose," I furrow my eyebrows, "Last time I had to chose a boy, he ended up being a criminal. As sweet as he seemed..."
"Jesse Walker, right?" Angela asks.
"Yeah," I nod.
"When I lived in Tulsa, he hung out with Tim and Curly a lot," She shrugs, "He was really nice, but he got jailed a lot."
"He got out of jail the day we met," I laugh.

"Hey, maybe you two will date in senior year," Angela smiles.
"Who knows," I laugh, "Never in a million years did I imagine I'd be the only girl in a grease gang in Tulsa, Oklahoma after my step mom died. The world's full of surprises."
"Speaking of surprises.." Darry mumbles, "Look who came."
I look out the window as Darry parks and see a lot more people than I invited.

"Damnit," I groan.
We get out and meet up with the rest of the gang.
"Alright, might as well get hammered if I wanna enjoy the party," I walk to the pavilion and grab a beer.
"Yeah, I'll take that," Dally takes the beer from my hands.
"Hey!" I stomp.
"N/N, you handle alcohol about as well as Johnny handles compliments," He teases.

"Hey!" Johnny frowns, "What's that supposed to mean?"
"Johnny, you look so handsome," Dally compliments.
"Oh.. uh.. wow... uh," Johnny turns red, "Wait! Fuck you!"
Dally chuckles and chugs the beer that he stole.
"So, how's it feel so be sixteen?" Darry asks.
"Feels great," I look at Ponyboy, "I beat you by sixteen days."

"In sixteen days, I'll be your age," He tells me, "And you'll regret teasing me."
I was glad Ponyboy was talking to me again, because for some reason ever since the night I blacked out, he got a weird around me.
"Scary," I laugh.
"Hey, birthday girl!" Bob walks up to us, "How are you?"
"Same as always," I shrug, "Someone's not letting me drink."
"It's for your own good, N/N," Dally laughs.
"Dallas, can I talk to you real quick?" Angela asks.

Dally looks at her and nods. They walk off to the edge of the woods. Why's she talking to him privately? Doesn't she have a boyfriend? Dally and her would make a horrible couple. And they don't like each other, so why does it matter?
"What're ya thinkin', Y/N?" Steve breaks me from my thoughts.
"Oh, um," I laugh, "I dunno. I just... it's my birthday and I'm feeling kinda bummed."
"We can't have that," Johnny grins, pulling me to the middle of the pavilion.

He gives a thumbs up to Two-Bit, who's plays a slow song.
Johnny smiles at me and puts his hands on my waist. I smile back and put mine behind his neck.
"Happy birthday," he whispers.
Soda runs from God knows where- I haven't seen him since the start of the party- and pushes Two-Bit before playing an Elvis song Dirty, Dirty Feeling.
Then, Soda runs back to me and starts dancing.

(This is Rob's character from Parks And Rec. but I feel like it radiates Sodapop energy)

Thank goodness for his looks, because Sodapop dances like a dork.
I can't help but grin at his weirdness. I didn't have to be watching him all night to know that he hasn't touched a single beer.
Soda gets drunk on life.
"Come on, N/N!" He takes my hand and dances with me.
Two-Bit joins us, then Steve, then Johnny, then Ponyboy, and even Darry joins.
Then, more people start dancing.
It's funny to think that Soda could start something like this just by being himself.

Angela's P.O.V.

"What is it, can't you see I'm tryna impress the lady?" Dallas eyes me as we stand at the edge of the woods.
"Are you mental?" I ask, "You call taking her beer away impressing?"
"Well I would've impressed her if you gave me time," He rolls his eyes.
"Dallas, you can't just impress her," I punch his shoulder, "You've got to do more than that! Look, I bet he's impressing her."

We look at the pavilion where Y/N's dancing with the small one.
Soon, the dreamy one changes the music and dances.. weirdly.
Then the funny one joins. Then the car one. Then the small one starts dancing again. Then Ponyboy. And then the big one.
I've only been here like... a day, I don't know their names.
The only reason I know Ponyboy's name is because he's polite enough to converse with me.

Plus, Ponyboy is a pretty unique name.
"Shit..." Dallas sighs, "I'm screwed, how am I supposed to compete with six other dudes?"
"I thought you liked her," I furrow my eyebrows.
Dallas is staring at her, so I flick his shoulder.
"I mean," He continues to look at her, "She's not interested.. obviously."
"Hey Dal!" Y/N shouts, waving him over, "C'mon!"

Dallas instantly smiles, and runs over to her and the rest of their gang.
She starts dancing with him to Little Sister by Elvis.. how fitting.
"Not interested, my ass," I laugh to myself.
Would Dallas be a good boyfriend for my sister? Sure. But Y/N wants a husband some day. And eventually, a great father for her kids. Could Dallas Winston be that person?
Could Y/N make him that person?